1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice AM4 Zen 3 build advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sketchee, 11 Nov 2020.

1. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

Hello all. Planning on a system upgrade to B550 and one of the new Zen 3 CPUs, probably the 5600X, when available. I think I'm fairly well researched enough to decide on the CPU, motherboard etc. but a bit overwhelmed with the amount of choice on both the RAM and nvme SSD to go with. It's more or less entirely for gaming at 1440p, currently got a gtx1070 which I'm not concerned about upgrading yet.

Budget isn't a huge concern, I just want to make sure I spend sensibly. For memory I think I want 32gb, CL16 right? What's the compromise with frequency though? Quick look at uk PC Part Picker shows 90+ options for 3200 memory starting at just over £80. Knock that up to 3600 though and it's double... is that really going to be worth it?

Planning on chucking a 1TB SSD in there as well, again.. too much choice though. What would people recommend?

Much appreciated!

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

May be worth huntingb down some vids on Zen 3 and RAM.

I think there's been talk with 4000Mhz being good for Zen 3 and 4 sticks better than 2. Like I say, may want to hunt down vids by people who have had their hands on them. Zen 2 was 3200/3600 (not a vast difference between the two really)

If in doubt go for one pn your motherboards list of supported RAM (although this isn't always comprehensive)

Hang on

SSDs - Crucial have always served me well.
    Nvme - Again may be worth looking at if pcie 4.0 is worth the extra cost over pcie 3.0

Sketchee likes this.
  3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Sketchee likes this.
  4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The two in my sig have been solid (and the RGB on the RAM is very pretty). The MP510 is my go to SSD as its got the highest endurance (1700TBW) and MTBF (1,800,000 hours) of any SSD for this price point, it'll effectively never die!

Sketchee likes this.
  5. Sketchee

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I should've mentioned it'll be itx so 2 slots only. I had read about the 4 sticks vs 2 thing recently but that only served to make things less clear for me.. so quite glad not to have that option!

With most components I can figure out a price/performance that suits me but there are just a lot of options with RAM and a huge variance in price with what is available. Looking at a very rough budget of £100-150, is there a consensus on prioritising capacity (16gb vs 32), speed, timings etc?

And I guess SSD then is just one that's reviewed well and within budget? Internet seems to like this one

edit: the MP510 looks nice, I'll keep an eye on the price, hope for a black friday deal maybe!

Last edited: 12 Nov 2020
    Bloody_Pete likes this.
  6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Capacity: Up to you whether you want to "only" have 16GB. It's the minimal these days, 32GB will feel more spacious and should last a while. With only 2 RAM slots, I'd go with 32GB to prevent needing to replace in future due to only having 2 slots.

Speed: Anything 3200 MHz or above should do well.
    Timing: I don't see it making any noticeable difference. CL 16 should be enough.
    The expensive but guaranteed performance option is said to be 3600 MHz CL 16.

Rank: As the video showed, having more RAM does give some benefit. You'll want to have a look at getting dual-rank RAM sticks. It should maximise performance with 2 sticks. Downside of dual-rank sticks won't manifest in mITX system because you can't install 4 sticks.

I'm running these Adata 3000 MHz CL16 2x16GB sticks. They are dual-rank and Samsung B-die. On my 3600 B550 platform (see sig), I am able to simply set XMP profile, up frequency to 3400 and add a bit more voltage to 1.37v. It's been solid stable for months now.

I got 960GB MP510 for £80. They seem to be selling off old stock as refurbished as they move to MP600. My refurbished was brand new, sealed box, squeaky clean SMART data.
    Worth keeping an eye on them. See here: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/re...ate-drive-3480mbs-read-ps8130-at-scan-3581253

Sketchee and Bloody_Pete like this.
  7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

When it comes to memory capacity things are extremely binary you either have enough or you don't, as long as you have enough the rest of it does literally nothing to help or harm things.

Modern AAA games use somewhere in the range of 5 - 10GB, so for gaming 16GB is all you need.
    Outside of gaming though the situation can be very different, for example Adobe After Effects will swallow your RAM whole and still be on its knees begging you for moar RAM.

Long story short, it really depends on what you want to use the PC for.

When it comes to speeds and latency, 3200 - 3600 is the sweet spot to aim for, you don't save enough by going below 3200 to make it worthwhile, above 3600 selection collapses and prices skyrocket.

For latency, just stick to Cas 16.
    Cas 14 sticks supposedly exist... G.Skill for example lists a ton of them on their website... but in shops they are about as rare as honest politicians.

Sketchee likes this.
  8. Sketchee

Great thanks for the advice, that really helps a lot :happy:

Just waiting for some new ryzen stock to arrive then, hopefully soon!