1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling AMD 64 3500+, 2x 6800GT SLI and chipset watercooling 1 setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dezjay, 3 Apr 2005.

1. Dezjay

Dezjay What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I want to watercool the following items,

1 AMD 64 3500+
    2 6800GT's running SLI
    and the chipset of my Asus A8N SLI mobo with the following watercool stuff

2x aquagraFX 6800 Revision 2 (ohne Anschluesse)
    Plexiglaseinsatz ohne Gravur fuer aquagraFX6800
    airplex evo 240 (ohne Anschluesse)
    FMJ Abschirmgehaeuse fuer Eheim 1046
    Eheim 1046, 230 V
    cuplex evo 1.1 FMJ rot, Halterung Athlon64 (plugncool gerade)

I think i cant use 2 rad because of the small housing (coolermaster wavemaster) Wil the single dual fan rad cool enough for my hardware / i have doubts about it but i cant order all the stuff and then find out it isn't enough 2 cool

2. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

The combination of 1046 pump, small 120mm radiator and large heat outputs of the (many) components makes me think it would really struggle to cope. If it does work then it'll be hot. Unless you're wanting to run some deltas I'd go for a double rad and top mount it :D

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

That is a dual-120 fan radiator... "Evo 240"

Might want to consider getting CPU and NB blocks :hehe: But I hope it works at the very least, because that's very similar to my plan.

4. scotty6435

LOL, fair do's. I thought he meant he was using push/pull fans on a single 120mm radiator. Looks fine but yeah, a CPU block is definately needed. Passive northbridge cooling from a zalman 47J heatsink might be better for you unless you're planning big overclocks. Got a maze4 for sale if you're interested in the ol' water though :)

Scotty

5. Dezjay

Dezjay What's a Dremel?

the last one in the list is the pu block :)

so with an dual 120 rad you guys think it would work..

i'm considering using a 160 rad (dual 80mm) which i mayby can place in front of the case.. that one would cool the cpu and the NB (or NB passive).. the dual 120 rad will be used 2 cool the gpu...

passive cooling on the NB would be nice but there will be nog fans mounted in the case except those on the rads..

I think i'll buy the cpu/chipset/vga blocks and first test it outside the case to see how the tempatures are

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

No, the zalman cooler will not cut it without reallllly good airflow on the A8N or any SLI board. Even the stock active (crap) cooler barely cuts it. Watercooling it is highly recommended by me at least.

What I'd do would be:
    pump->cpu->nb->2x80rad->gpu1->gpu20>2x120rad->res->pump

Just be aware that using a twinplex on that northbridge either a) requires an ATI mounting screen and rotating the block or b) modding the NF2/3/4 mounting screen so it doesn't get stuck on a capacitor. I found that out the hard way and fried my chipset. It looks like it clears the capacitor but it doesn't.

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Wash your mouth out with soap young man! Suggesting cluttering up an AC loop like that! :eyebrow: :p

I reckon a 240 would do the job but it would be running on the warm side. I'm not sure how much difference putting the 160 in there would help but its all good. :D You should check out the wizd forums, its an AC based place full of friendly folks and genuine mod gods willing to offer advice and answer questions.

8. scotty6435

Can't blame a man for tryin' :D

If you're concerned about temps see if a triple rad will fit on the roof of your case (unsure of wavemaster dimensions). Would make the case look a little tidier.

Tags: