1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD + ATI & nVidia + Intel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by taliban_raider, 7 May 2004.

1. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

This is just a general observation of mine; people tend to group the companies together as I have done in the post title, when they build their systems. I am obviously not saying everyone does it because that would be stupid, but it is the rule rather than the exception that it is done. People mostly build ati/amd systems and nVidia/Intel systems but seldom mix and match. I as you may or may not see in my sig have a main A64 system with a 9600xt I chose these parts because of the price to performance ratio, it was just unbeatable in my eyes. But anyway I also have another system that is capable of playing games and that is a amd 1600 that has a 9600xt, my old system was also a duron 1.2 with a radeon 7000. As you can see they all follow the rule I stated above. And my family's computer is a Intel with an nVidia. I notice allot of project logs also follow this rule. Maybe it is the nice duel three letters ATI AMD, who knows. I am wondering what you think, if you agree, disagree, think I am a retard/stupid, or why I haven’t included VIA, well as a sidenote as almost as pointless as this thread every single one of my systems mentioned, motherboard is powered by VIA, strange irony?

Edit: And while I realised I hadn’t spell checked this before posting, I edited and posted in Word 2002 and it corrected nVidia/Intel to NVIDIA INTEL but had no suggestions for ati/amd, just interesting in it self.

2. k3nn

k3nn What's a Dremel?

Id have to agree with you, me and 4 of my mates have amd, ati systems only one of them has an intel, ati setup. not honestly sure what creates this pairing up, although i think the good price/preformance ratio has got something to do with it.

3. bleecher

bleecher What's a Dremel?

yeah i made the same obseration not that long ago, for ghay reasons il list what combis i got,

athlon64 3200 & radeon 9800xt
    amd k62-550 & radeon 7000 :D
    athlon 2700 & radeon 9700pro
    pentium3 1.3ghz dual & nvidia geforce3 ti-200

but my mates have the following

athlon 1900 & nvidia geforce3 ti-200
    athlon 2400 & nvidia geforce3 ti-200

i remember back in the day every had a cyrix 266 or 333 with a voodoo3 :D

i think its because amd and ati offer faster performance for alot less money :D

4. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

Man im glad someone else saw this too.

*coughhardwareforumcough*

I am a weird person however since I have an ATI in a Intel.. (maybe thats why its acting shoddy! :idea: )

Funny enough I don't follow this at all neither do any of my friends. However, when I surf the web I have found that so many people follow this sub-concsious code of sorts. I would think it would be mix and match especially since IMO nvidias work a bit better with nforce chipsets which only come on AMD boards... However at the moment I would love to have a geforce over my current card.

*Idea Time (no theivery!! :worried: )

I have always had an Idea to makes 2 computers that look exactly alike except for color and a window etch. I would make them the light and darkside. All four of the big companies would be seperated in 2 groups. ATI+AMD and Intel+nVIDIA. I would make Intel The Lightside and AMD The Darkside.

I would have a silver Lian Li and a Black Lian Li the 70's or 60's im not sure.

I would do the silver one with blue led's replacing the power led and a green replacing the HD led. I would then get a true-blue antec powersupply.Id also have all blue case fans. And put 2 blue cold cathodes in. I would get Blue and white sleeving for any cables And would go with a gigabyte board since they are blue. I would also look and see if there was a blue nVidia Card. Id then try to get an etch of yoda with a lightsaber. and put blue led's to highlight the window.

on the black lian li.

I would do red led's replacing blue the power led and a orange replacing the Harddrive. I would do an antec true-blue but relace the fans with red led fans. I would have all red case fans. 2 red cold cathodes. I would get red and black sleeving for any cables. I would go with a red nforce board.. Not sure if there are any?? or maybe an orange abit. Its nice cause ATI has red cards. I would also get a nice etch of Darth Vader and light it with red led's.

For other things. I would use a silver samsung for the light side and a black one for the dark side. I would also buy a white and black mouse keyboard combo. then only mod the white mouse to have a blue led instead of a red one. (can i do that?)

*ends brainstorm*

hehe Back on topic :D

5. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

Meh, I have a P4 and a 9600XT and my friend has an XP and an FX5200...

I think the reason why this happens is that Intel and nVidia are more noob friendly while AMD and ATi are more hardcore...

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Hope you put your flame retardent suit on today , lol :D

7. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

I am of course AMD loyal to the bone.

I have bought ATI since the days of the FireGL 1000 Pro
    I own at least 8 ATI cards at home.

I have never bought an nVidia, but I had won a 5600 at an event, and nVidia sponsored me a 5950 Ultra for a new project.
    But in the end: I gave the 5600 to my nephew, and the 5950 is waiting for a project later.

So I stuck to my loyalty, and now I am more ATI loyal then ever.

Ya, so for me it's the 3 letter companies: AMD and ATI

I still love the nVidia nForce chipsets, but the VIA K8 chipsets are growing on me.

8. Carbon

Carbon Banned

And of course you get to test em before us, bugger :waah:

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

I use whatever impresses me the most tbh... at the moment my main rig has an XP2500M, nFORCE2 chipset, and a FX 5900XT. My second rig has a XP2500M, nFORCE2 chipset, and an AIW 9800SE @ AIW 9800PRO. I would like to have an Intel system to balance things up on that side of the fence too though :)

10. Carbon

Carbon Banned

You keep swapping them around?

11. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

That is good and bad.
    For example I love my SK8N at home, but now that I am working on this board at work, when I have problems, I get frustrated with the board.
    (And then my board at home no longer feels cool anymore)

Now I want a SK8V at home, as the Via board works better for me at work.

12. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Hmm my systems are as follows:

Pentium 200mhz - Ati Rage 2mb (i think its 2)
    Pentium 3 600mhz - Ati Rage 128 Pro 32mb
    Pentium 4 1.8Ghz - Ati Rage 128 Pro 16mb

My Sig system will be getting a X800XT PE in a few weeks but right now its
    Pentium 4 3.2Ghz - Ati Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB

13. quack

quack Minimodder

I've got an NVIDIA card in my AMD box, does that make me weird? I've never owned an ATi card, and so far I've got no plans to either.

14. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

hmm 2 ATI/AMD rigs here, and 1 ATI/Nvidia....
    (1800@ 2.2, 9800pro, 1700 @ 1gig 9100, 1.6duron Ti4200)
    Bro has AMD/ATI, mates vary though, 1 is ATI/AMD, 1 is Intel/Nvidia and 1 is AMD/Nvidia....
    Seems best price/performance goes with most people.....

15. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

AMD and Nvidia loyal i would say.

just has suited me best when/for my budget in the past, so i don't object to ATI or intel. I'm just cheap, so i go for AMD (socket A...) and second hand nvidia usually :p

16. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

im intel + ATI at the moment
    as is xen0phobiak

mind you i have more a preference for nvidia

the last time i bought hardware it was a 2.4C and a FX5900, as i reckoned they would clock well
    they did, 50% out of the 2.4C and 55% out of the FX5900

it just made sense at the time

17. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

I'm using an XP and FX5200. As i'm not a gamer (apart from the occasional counterstrike) I have no need for a top or the range graphics card.

18. Zapho

Zapho What's a Dremel?

Check my sig, notice the PII w/ Voodoo 3 :D
    I despised ATI for quite a while because of my ATI Rage Fury Maxx (64MB, dual Rage processor) cost me a decent amount of money, and I sware that my Voodoo3 still ran everything better (even though it was PCI and 16MB). Crappiest card ever.

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

no, I have an NF7-S and a DFI infinity, along with 3 mobile 2500+'s and 1.5Gb of BH-5

20. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

3!? :jawdrop:

can I have one? :naughty: