1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD Catalyst 13.8 Beta brings micro-stutter fix

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Aug 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Member

3. fluxtatic

fluxtatic New Member

Good on AMD for getting on it...but I can't recall how long I've been hearing about this problem with CF. And only DX10/11, single-display up to 2560x1600? Better than a kick in the nuts, but damn, AMD, step it up already!

4. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

20% is better than 60% but only just

5. konstantine

konstantine New Member

Wow, decent job AMD! I'm waiting for the AMD push to use decent physics in games. Those APUs can do it, and I don't there's another way to handle those computation heavy simulation effects. A decently fast APU is miles faster than the best Intel can and will have to offer in the future for those kinds of workloads.
    Really, the future of gaming rest upon AMD.

6. thom804

thom804 Member

Fixed that for you

7. konstantine

konstantine New Member

Well, those upcoming consoles are really low-end APUs with bigger GPUs. The underlying point is: APUs are faster than mere CPUs in those massively parallel workloads. Those consoles will force coders to learn how utilize those SIMD clusters in those GPUs to perform massively parallel vector computations, which what physics and AI workloads look like. Take a look at how much GPGPU is faster than a mere CPU in such workloads. And this what 6 GCN SIMD clusters can do without HUMA.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/X/V/365395/original/clbenchmark.png

8. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Consoles for the most part will still be coded to hardware, if they want the best performance. Which means we will get ports that are still using direct x. That alone means for us pc gamers you would still need balanced hardware.

As for physics its not really that important unless nvidia allow it on AMD cards which I have my douts.

Will be 2 years before we get a good port all the rest will be rush jobs.

9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Judging by all of the reviews / analysis, these drivers look like a major step in the right direction for AMD CF. They still have a way to go as compared to a GTX690 the % difference in frametimes is still on the high side (20% compared to 5-10%), but it is still alot better than it used to be.

Depending on price I may even look at trying out a couple of 9970's in CF instead of a single card. Or I could just slap in another 780....