News AMD denies cherry-picking R9 290, 290X review cards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Nov 2013.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Actually no. They are describing exactly the glitch that AMD have now released a patch for. How about you remove those red-tinted spectacles for a moment?

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

and I`ll place them ontop of my GTX 670 then....

toms were caught flaming the crap out of AMD , then got caught hard and got slammed for being an NVidia shill site

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So they didn't identify a problem that AMD had no knowledge of, and didn't test to see if the fix AMD implemented solved the problem they first reported ?

4. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Even if it were cherry picking it would be no different to Haswell would it?

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

actually toms said amd were cherry picking sampels - which is proven to be bollcoks - also , this `issue` has so dfar affected 4 boards out of all the thousands made .... so toms is once again NVidia link baiting.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Your point being?
    I have no love for Tom's, but their review results were genuine - AMD have admitted that not all cards' cooling fans were running as intended, and had to release a fix - thankfully in the drivers, because a hardware recall would be a massive blow. If TH are a nvidia fan site, as you state, does that mean that every time they say anything negative about the opposition it should be automatically ignored?

They may have over-egged the pudding, with claims that the review samples were cherry picked but, regardless of their supposed bias, the concerns were valid.

The 290/290x looks like a stellar performer, but I wouldn't touch one with a reference cooler - a lot will depend on the premium added by third party coolers.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So comparing Haswell chips that didn't OC as much as engineering samples with a GPU that down-clocks due to over temp protection is the same how ? One runs fine at stock speeds and doesn't allow the same overclocking potential, the other refused to run at stock speeds when put under load.
    Either way cherry picking is bad for both the company doing it, and the people that review any hardware. Just because someone does something wrong doesn't mean its OK for others to do it.

Spelling mistakes aside Toms didn't accuse AMD of cherry picking, that's what other sites reported. They actual raised a valid question of consistency, and they also shared this information with AMD prior to publication allowing AMD to identify a problem and issue a fix. Would you rather they stayed silent and allowed not the 4 cards as you claim but maybe hundreds of cards to remain with this problem ?

8. rollo

rollo Modder

More AMD fan posts by none AMD owners. If everyone who defended AMD owned full AMD rigs I could understand the hate of nvidia. ( not to mension how rich AMD would be)

Toms did some basic checks notified AMD who then corrected the problem with a driver patch. Tom then retested again to see if it is fixed.

How is tom been biased again?

The fact that I still have not seen a user review suggests sales of the r290x are not as fast as all the AMD fans hope. Can't be all waiting for custom editions. Know a few with the 290 now all report similar story's fast card bad fan.