1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD FreeSync Officially Launches

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 19 Mar 2015.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Hopefully this will lower the price of gsync monitors so the nvidia markup is pretty small, or they might decide to support freesync.

Not sure how big the markup is however - for example rog swift might be expensive, but that's not just gsync. If you compare it to the cheaper 144hz freesync panels you'll note that:
    (a) the rog swift goes down to 30hz where as the freesync only go to 40hz. 40hz is too high, the whole point of variable sync is to smooth stuff out at lower fps. The 75hz freesync ones seem to be even worse only going as low as 48fps which seems a bit useless.
    (b) the rog swift has much less ghosting, probably because it's spec'd as a 3d vision monitor. Ghosting is also important to most gamers.

Hence if you build a freesync monitor with the rog's internals the price would be higher (but not as high as the current one, which will hopefully drop when it gets some proper competition).

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Is this yet another one of AMD's 'next big things'?

..hows Bulldozer and Mantle doing?

So excuse the cynicism but AMD have form, or not as the case maybe.

4. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

When you guys get a FreeSync monitor for review, it'd be interesting to see if it'd work with those controversial modded Nvidia drivers that turned out to be a modified version of the experimental Mobile G-sync Nvidia drivers, or something like that.

5. Dogbert666

No, part of the point is very much that it is not AMD's thing. FreeSync is an ecosystem that incorporates AMD hardware, but the standards are open for everyone to use. It is very different to Bulldozer and Mantle; Bulldozer is simply not that great an architecture next to competing products, while Mantle requires (or should that be required) massive investment in time and money from developers to make use of. The whole point of FreeSync (or more accurately, DisplayPort Active-Sync) is that it is very easy for scaler and monitor manufacturers to implement for next to nothing. As has been pointed out, I do think AMD and monitor vendors needs to work on extending the current 40Hz lower limit, but as to whether G-Sync/FreeSync/variable refresh rate is the future? It unquestionably is - you haven't experienced what PC gaming "should" feel like until you've played on such a panel.

6. Dogbert666

Got a source for what this refers to?

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

It refers to some dude who was given pre release drivers on his laptop which enabled gsync in spite of the laptop not having a gsync module.

8. rici1241

rici1241 Minimodder

9. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

10. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

I wish this is gonna be implemented in some models of TVs in the future. Lot of people are using TVs for gaming, like me.
    And here's a question, is there any way that freesync could be working on X1,PS4? since they both use AMD hardware.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Poor show who ever didn't send Bit-Tech some review samples.

Not that you/we can confirm anything due to the lack of review samples but from what I've read elsewhere the biggest difference is in the lower FPS ranges, once you start to go above 75fps the advantages become less noticeable.

12. Dogbert666

Sadly not. I imagine the chips used in both of those were made too early to support it. Even if they did have the right display controllers, they use HDMI 1.4 outputs, whereas Adaptive-Sync is exclusive to DisplayPort 1.2a and above for now. For it to work, you'd need new versions of the consoles (potentially with upgraded display controller) that have either DisplayPort out or a new version of HDMI that supports it, though I don't think HDMI 2.0 does. Then you'd also need a TV that would work with it.

I imagine that's true. Nvidia's initial G-Sync demos were all about the 30-60Hz range and really noticeable. It's a shame AMD's lower cap is 40Hz, but I wonder if the technology allows them to use multiples for lower frame rates, e.g. render at 39fps and run the panel at 78Hz with each frame repeated twice. Seems feasible but probably only do-able with predictable rate of frame delivery i.e. video playback rather than gaming.

13. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Interesting article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...-display-tech-is-superior-to-amds-freesync/2/

Two things:
    1) Under the min fps which freesync/gsync allows freesync just sticks to that min frame rate (e.g. 40) causing very bad juddering. gsync goes to multiples (e.g. for 29fps it might run the monitor at 58fps) which leads to a much smoother look at low fps.
    2) freesync monitors ghost, gsync are much better. To stop ghosting you use overdrive which means you push the pixels brighter then they need to be. That has to be tuned both to a particular panel and a particular refresh rate (i.e. panel X at fps of 47 needs overdrive Y for a colour Z). Freesync can't do this at the moment and has to turn off overrdrive, gsync can hence the lower ghosting.

14. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I highly recommend PC Per's video on the comparison between them. I'm on a phone so CBA with the necessary linkage. NVIDIAs module has sold gsync for me. At present AMD can't handle low frame rates outside the sweet spot. Whilst the gsync module doubles up on the frames in order to keep things smooth Plus the extra ghosting doesn't help either. I think the benefits are worth the cost.

Although I'd really like to see some gsync monitors with more than one input even though they won't have gsync on the extra inputs.

It would also be nice if the module could be an external dongle which could be used with the extended display port spec. Unlikely to happen but one can dream.

Tags: Add Tags