1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AMD HD7970 Direct CU2 & P9X79PRO & Win 10

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Jamie Evans, 25 Mar 2021.

1. Jamie Evans

Jamie Evans What's a Dremel?

Does anyone have a working display driver (apart from the default Microsoft Basic) driver for this combination? I build this rig years ago, spent £4,500 so it's still up there with performance of modern computers. I seamlessly upgraded to Windows 8, then 8.1, then 10, then some issues started to occur which were actually not driver related....the 7970 is a heavy card and was pulling down on the PCI slot so would often get flickers, crashes, and sometimes the display wouldn't even load when booting up.

However, as part of diagnosing that issue, I stupidly deleted the driver which was installed at the time. If I remember rightly, when I went to 8.1 I had to use disable driver signing enforcement, or that may have been moving to 10. But now, I can't find a driver which doesn't render my display useless, and I'm losing all that power the 7970 has (don't laugh).

I've tried every single driver in the AMD Adrenaline packages, and the Catalyst ones, well.....there's just so many it will take me a month of restores and I still might not find the right one.

Does anyone have this setup working, and can tell me which driver version specifically with signature enforcement off will not black screen my PC? Thanks for reading hope someone can help.

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

This is the driver you should need (choose your Windows flavour), but it sounds like something else is amiss if you're having to disable driver enforcement to load it. Are you sure the card isn't knackered?

Last edited: 25 Mar 2021
  3. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

When I had a 7970 I just installed drivers for win 10 no messing about ... Course that was in 2018 dunno about brand new drivers but up to that point no problems

Then it's ram went wonky but the xfx card I had came with a lifetime warranty and they swapped it for a rx570

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  4. Jamie Evans

Thanks for the replies. The adrenaline software (any version I choose) starts installing just fine, the bar gets to around 50% where I presume the actual display driver is installed. The screen flickers once and comes back on, then goes black, and actually crashes my whole PC. Ie. The caps lock LED on my keyboard even goes off to show the motherboard isn't even supplying power to it any more, though all fans are still active etc. On restart, I get clear post screen, then black screen and nothing else. I did get the screen on one day with the basic MS driver alongside the ASUS one and the info screen said something like "The driver could not load because the path %s could not be found". Of it could have been %f. I wonder how weak my GPU is now compared to what it would be with the proper driver.

Another thing I noticed, every single driver package I've downloaded says it supports the ASUS HD 7970, or HD7000 series, but none of the inf files contain my actual full hardware ID
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6798&SUBSYS_04421043. I searched for this ID and apparently it is present in an Catalyst package from 2012, but I built the rig in 2013/14 and I've updated the driver several times since, but always used Catalyst, never Adrenaline or Crimson. My guess is that something happens during installation of the driver that Windows 10 doesn't like, and I didn't experience this before because I have always done an in-place upgrade of the OS and so the driver has just always been there.

I think I might try installing the driver in safe mode, or manually through DISM so most of the Windows subsystems are off and see if that still gets me the screen of death. I'm sure it will but what else can I try? I'm fairly sure it's the old motherboard to blame somehow. The P9X79 PRO, ASUS seemed to start dropping support for it as soon as it was released because new OS were coming out and the list of available drivers were depleting. Now I select Windows 10 x64 and there's about 3 things I can download, but everything has to have an EOS/L I suppose. I'll update if DISM install does the trick, but unless anyone else has any other ideas, expect this could be the end of the thread and I'll just suffer using the MS driver albeit with the ability to continue ranting on forums like this :)

5. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

yea ... you are putting way too much effort into something that is pretty much plug and play with official support up to late Feb 2021, there's something wrong

if you want to blame windows get a spare drive and install 7 on it with some old driver if its still stupid then its not a software problem

to me something is popped and its in limp home mode

6. Jamie Evans

Yeah you're right. I tried the cmd prompt only method installing the infs using DISM, still same result although said they were installed properly....obviously not started up. I actually, out of interest, like your idea of creating another partition for a win7 machine, install all appropriate drivers and upgrade. Trouble is it takes my main machine offline for a while but I'm really intrigued whether I can get adrenaline to install on Windows 7. Bet I can. Then wonder if in place upgrade of OS will produce no issues. Lot of work but im one of those that wont stop until something's fixed. I think its the MOBO myself, but I'm too tight to buy a 2nd hand 2020 LGA2011 socket board hahaha. Although this is what it might come down to :)

7. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Why not try the card in a different PCI-E slot if you think it's board related?

8. Jamie Evans

Next reboot ill try that. I did actually have some issues with it being in the top PCIeX16 slot because the card is heavy and there's nothing to support the rear of it, so it bends the slots and maybe disconnects a couple of pins. At one time I had the system open slightly moving the card upward and the screen was going off and back on, so thanks for the tip I assumed since I sorted the hanging issue out (actually by reverting to MS dislpay driver) I thought it wasn't the slot, but there could certainly be unused pins with the MS driver which the proper drivers need. I'll try this on next reboot. I have another X16 slot closer to the PSU and I can put a small wedge to keep the card flush toward the rear like it should be. Thanks for the contribution.