Reviews AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 27 Jul 2017.

1. 23RO_UK

23RO_UK Hasta Mañana

High memory prices are a bugbear just now for sure, the continual fluctuation in the value of the Pound with the pre Brexit uncertainty is not helping things either.

2. loftie

loftie Well-Known Member

What are you including in that APU system and why are you comparing it to a system spec'd with a 1060? Cheapest AM4 APU on scan is £47, cheapest R3 is £99, add an additional £105 for a 1050. £157 price difference between the two systems.

You can also find cheaper mobos than £87, cheapest B350 board on scan is £65.

3. Bindibadgi

Bindibadgi Tired. Forever tired.

1200 + 1050 Ti or 1300X + 1060 is a great combination, especially if you can OC a little. You're not comparing against APU, this is entry i5-esq quad at i3 prices. People don't ever consider i5s or i3s for their IGPs. Just because the AMD APU is capable, doesn't mean people should exclusively consider it. Look at the i3 barebone prices.
    You've also got to consider that you can OC an R3 even on a sub-100 board, which is non-existent on Intel. Many gaming systems are built with cheaper CPUs and mainstream-mid range GPUs.

Memory prices will remain high globally until next year at the earliest. It's not just GBP, it's global in this respect. 8GB of memory is plenty for an mainstream gaming system.

4. jrs77

jrs77 theorycrafting

Gaming on a budget? Try a XB1 or a PS4 for €400. PC-Gaming is never on a budget. The only thing budget in the PC-world is office PCs or HTPCs that don't need that much CPU-grunt to begin with.

It's nice that AMD finally offers some competition again, but the money is made with CPUs that have integrated graphics or with server-parts. PC-gaming that requires dedicated graphic cards is a small niche.

5. Bindibadgi

Not at all. If anything PCs without graphics cards are becoming less common because they are being replaced with laptops. Entry/mainstream PC gaming is a big deal and consumers buy on brand and feature: they want a graphics card. That's why even 1030s or 550s still sell. AMD's biggest uphill struggle is that non-technical consumers buy an "Intel i7" and "Nvidia GeForce".

6. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

The console price doesn't hold up to scrutiny:
    1: Console games are more expensive.
    2: Consoles have subscriptions you'll end up paying for.
    3: You'll still need a PC to do all the things a console can't do.
    4: Remember that there are entire genres of games consoles don't have access to and that some of the most popular games on the planet like Dota, LoL, WoW, CS:Go, Overwatch and so on run perfectly fine on a random PC found in the dump that had a used ebay GPU added to it.

7. jrs77

jrs77 theorycrafting

I can play all of these popular titles on an i3 or i5 with the integrated graphics, be it on a mobile part in a laptop or the desktop parts found in €600 office PCs. There's no need for a dedicated GPU for playing games really. I can even play things like the Borderlands-series on my IGP in 1080p and that's what I'm looking forward to with the new AMD APUs and it's a shame intel doesn't pursue IrisPro graphics on the desktop-parts further.

As for the console games being more expensive. Well, I don't see that being a fact really, especially when you don't buy games at release and look for sales instead. Also, alot of people don't need a PC in addition to their console, but use their smartphones for most of the stuff nowadays, especially the younger people.

I know that we're on a tech-forum, but that's the biggest problem I have in such discussions, as it seems that people fail to see what's going on outside of this tech-bubble. Less and less people buy desktop PCs, but notebooks or use their smartphones.
    The majority of sales for desktop PCs is happening in the office sector, where an IGP is favourable as the trend in office PCs goes to SFF workstations, atleast that's what I'm seeing happening in all the offices I'm walking into these days, or the fancier people use iMacs instead.

8. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Sub £500 is what most think of as a budget pc including monitor and windows, when I have been asked to do these builds in the past it's always a struggle to hit this price point.

APU is a must and your still on a very cheap case HDD.

Biggest upgrade most budget pcs can have is a SSD.

Even if you knock the memory down on the 1060 system I listed above, to overclock your spending it on a cooler.

I would like to see someone try to do it without cheaping out on a rubbish cash or power supply which nobody here could recommend.

£600 before windows and monitor and keyboard mouse is still another £200 on these.

Mid range is £600 - £1000 in most people's eyes.

9. loftie

loftie Well-Known Member

Again, you're complaining that a system built with the R3 will be too expensive. You've said an APU system can be built for £400, I'll assume you've included all the peripherals + windows for that amount. As I said before, the difference in price between an AM4 APU and the R3 + Nvidia 1050 is £157, making a PC based off of your £400 come to £557.

Techspot reviewed both the 1200 and 1300x and overclocked both using the stock cooler and while the 1300x got a bit warm for their liking they attributed it purely to voltage as the 1200 was fine. Not that you can overclock if you opt for an A series motherboard.

10. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

As a system refresh, so excluding PSU/case/storage/etc:

Ryzen 3 1200 £100
    MATX B350 Board £65-75
    8GB RAM £70
    1050 Ti £130
    =£370

I'd imagine, while not being blazing fast, this would be a pretty capable system for 1080p gaming.

11. jrs77

jrs77 theorycrafting

Excluding PSU, case and storage is just... well... it's not a PC then is it? That's why I said gaming on a budget is done with consoles, which cost those €400 all inclusive, but the games ofc.
    Also, those consoles have a much longer lifespan than the usual PC-hardware, so in the longrun you actually don't pay as much even with the games being a little more expensive. In 5-8 years you use your console, you change your PC hardware atleast two times.

12. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

This isn't hypothetical though. You say it "isn't a PC" without those things and that consoles have a longer lifespan. My monitor, case, PSU and storage are all older (in some cases a lot older) than the the current generation of consoles and all perfectly compatible with the aforementioned system.

I'm not convinced "gaming on a budget is done on a consoles" is at all clear cut.
    If you like PC games/gaming and/or want/need a reasonably powerful PC anyway then adding a discrete GPU to a system might well make more sense than a console (or current APUs) for gaming. I'm pretty sure such systems are hardly uncommon.

13. jrs77

jrs77 theorycrafting

Such systems are more and more uncommon tbqh. People buy laptops or simply use their smartphones for alot of tasks. Desktop PCs are getting phased out in the private sector. The only place where desktop PCs are still going strong are offices and they buy exactly those cheap systems with integrated graphics from OEMs.
    Gaming is mostly done on consoles or smartphones.

14. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

There is one pc in my house these days used to be 3 I have sold all the low end apu systems we used to have, tablets and smartphones replaced them.

Even my pc sees less and less usage on a week to week basis and I probably spent about £2.5k on it lol.

15. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Indeed, budget and console don't really go together.
    On a PC you never get emails like this nice surprise that was in my inbox today:

[​IMG]

https://jonpeddie.com/press-releases/details/pc-gaming-hardware-market-minting-billions

16. jrs77

jrs77 theorycrafting

The market has grown, because people buy PCs and especially GPUs like crazy for mining. This heavily skews the picture and it'll end as soon as mining isn't worth it anymore, so good luck with those growth-predictions.

17. 23RO_UK

23RO_UK Hasta Mañana

The Prophet of Doom hath spoken... :rollingeyes: :rollingeyes: :rollingeyes:

18. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude Flying Dutchman

Mining isn't dead, not by a long shot. :D

Also, the RAM prices are up globally, not just in the UK. My RAM is up by $15 since I bought it not all that long ago.

19. Bindibadgi

Very capable. Or push it a 1060 3GB or last gen 970/980 and you're laughing. The Ryzen might not take on Sky/Kaby but how many are satisfied with prior gen Intel CPUs that the R3 will happily keep up with? It's not going to tempt existing Intel quad-core owners, but if you're upgrading from anything else this is a solid buy.

20. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

Would the Ryzen 3 1200 be an worth while upgrade from my i5 3470?

Tags: Add Tags