Reviews AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 7 Jul 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

CB score is insane :O

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Don't worry, I'll get my revenge when Zen 2 Ripper drops:grin:

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Still can't run many NVMe drives like my lowly 8 core ripper, so i am happy enough :p

Nice little bump though, with added benefit it's brought the price down on the 12 core TR 2xxx to a level that I am almost tempted to move on my 1900x, but i'd be a fool not to wait a few months to see the lay of the land when TR3 drops, as it would be nice to use my DDR4 at its rated speed.

I was expecting Zen2 to be a bit stronger in single core stuff but it is still early days, doubt anyone has had time to have a deep play, each prior gen has got better with tweaks to BIOS etc, my TR1900x does the same single core as the tr2920x reviewed here in CBR20 for example just through tweaking.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2019
  5. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

On the other end of the scale, where are the 3400G reviews? It's literally available to buy now, but I can't find any reviews. Yeah, I know it's only Zen+, but i'm interested to see if the increased cache, faster memory support and considerably higher IGP and core clcokspeeds make it a proper jump over the 2400G.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

3400G doesn't have faster memory support, 2933 is your lot, it just has clockspeed bump.

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I meant the general memory compatibility improvements that came with Zen+.

Though I suspect the next gen of APU's to be really tasty - Proper Zen 2 chiplet with Navi IGP? Ohhh yeaaaaah.

8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

What's interesting is that Zen 2 actually has better IPC than Intel's best (I think it was in an LTT video). The thing really holding back AMD at the moment is the clock speed ceiling they have hit. If it wasn't for that, the 3000 series would be knocking everything out of the park, and would be winning every benchmark. Shame that overclocking them seems so pointless when you lose the higher single core boost.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I don't really overclock anymore, not much to be gained for the extra voltage and temps that require handling, so just leave the chip to its thing, Gen1 Ryzen boost is a bit harsh though but I have the 8 core TR which has highest base clocks of all gen1 chips and would buy the same when I upgrade, the chip with highest base when I next upgrade and just let boost do its thing as an when.

10. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Be interesting to see a test of a 9900K vs a 3700X, both set at 4Ghz all-core, and see where the IPC crown really is now.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

12. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Hardware Unboxed did this. AMD is ahead.

Tags: Add Tags