1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Talks GPU Gaming Physics

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 17 Feb 2011.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Or to put the fancy the fancy "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" splash screen on. They're certainly not losing money by helping those devs out.

That is, of course, not to say that AMD and Intel don't do this as well. I like the "Runs Great on Core i7 Processors" one, pair any i7 with a cheap GPU and it won't run well.

To be fair, there have been various advances in gameplay since those games!

But you've still got a point, various visuals can help improve the percieved gameplay. If the game is supposed to feel like a sniper crawling through the grass then the gameplay feels a lot more fun if the grass looks and reacts like real grass. The same holds true for flags, smoke, papers, and other such extras which may be added by physics in a game. Environment is a huge part of gameplay.

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

*Cough* Crysis *Cough* :D

I strongly believe that a game should have a solid 'centre' as if it were. Couple that with nice graphics and effects: boom - great game!

3. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Open standard is the way to go. Bullet physics actually might succeed where physx failed - if it runs on every platform and it's customizable then it's better option for devs and gamers alike.
    Number of games where physics is essential part of gameplay is rather limited so far. I can think of Penumbra or Half-life 2...I wonder if it has something to do with current trend of simplifying games. Building yourself a bridge is a lot different than pressing button XY to get across chasm(just like cooperating with devs and flaunting "we saved PC games"...)

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

i mostly agree with what you've said and your previous statements; games just aren't the way the used to be. games used to be made from originality and fun value, now its all about which games looks the nicest and is the most realistic without being annoyingly realistic (meaning, getting shot in the face and dying immediately). however, some games are as enjoyable as they are because of their details. for example, call of duty 4 was a pretty generic shooter. it was original for the CoD devs and it did introduce a couple new ideas here and there, but it wasn't really that... new. so the fun value of it is not really any different than any other shooter. in terms of actual models and textures, the game wasn't really much more detailed than any other game in its time; crysis was more detailed. however, what made the game work so well was its graphical presentation. that game was so well presented and so cinematic that you feel immersed in it, and that aids in what would have otherwise been typical gameplay.

5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I knew the moment physx became a proprietary platform that it would soon die as who wants to limit their audience.

6. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I knew the moment physx became a proprietary platform that it would soon die as who wants to limit their audience.

7. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

if that was the case then why does Nvidia lock out it's cards when a AMD gpu is present?

"Oh Nvidia is doing it for the gamers" I think NOT!! Sure you can use some ancient driver and hacks but if Nvidia was "really for the gamer" they would have never done this. So remember that the next time "The way we are meant to get PAID" splash screen pops up.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i think people are confused about the business purpose of nVidia TWIMTBP program. it is not doing it for gamers, nor it is try to sabotage competition.

TWIMTBP is simply nVidia looking after the PC gaming market, a market where they are making money off enthusiastic products. if this market dies, their brand name will be lost, because enthusiastic graphics card is where they made their name.

it is also not sabotage competition, all they are doing is provide development support. from a business point of view, it is illogical to provide support for its competition. so that is precisely what they've done, only supporting their own hardware during the development support program.

at the end of the day, you can't satisfy everyone. providing support means competition supporters whine about it, don't provide support means the market shrinks to such a small size, it's no longer profitable. the thing needs to remember is that at least they have a program running and it is doing a good job, without this program, some game may never get released on PC.

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

He shoots, he scores!

I think ATI/AMD should be doing this too. To date, I can only remember one game being officially supported by ATI - Tribes: Vengeance.

10. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

youre not making any sense. I never said they were losing money. and if they buy out the game devs and have them mainly focus on optimising games for Nvidia cards then ATi cards then it would make sense to show that splash screen.

I just said their suporting game devs in a somewhat anti competitive way.

but i suppose if you got some much money, it would make sense to muscle all the competition out

11. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

How about half-life2 which came with an ATi logo on the box? Or AvP....

ATi support loads of devs but they simply don't pay for a splash screen on startup. Perhaps they should though considering how easily people forget them.

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, I got them off Steam so I never saw that! So yes, they should have a little splash screen.

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah I've always said that.. they could make ruby have a twin and then wearing ati shirts they hold hands and become crossfire

then in the back you see 2 doods making out and they are wearing green shirts that say sli

and then ati logo fades on the screen along with.. ati there is a difference! that would rage huang and make all the goblins switch.. who wants to be the doods?

14. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Seems they're starting to agree, started the shogun 2 demo to be welcomed by an "AMD gaming evolved splash" I hope they start having enough viable marketing budget to make people aware now.

15. greyfoxzero

greyfoxzero What's a Dremel?

It seems people have forgotten the lies ATI threw at us about their cards supporting hardware physics. Next to me I have the box my Radeon 4870 came in and it says "game physics processing capability". Too bad that never happened. I use AMD products as well as Nvidia but both companies have been dickin round in regards to hardware physics. I remember that class action lawsuit where ATI got sued for lying about features it had on their cards. I would love to get a class action going for this. If these companies really looked at the market they would realize most gamers have onboard gpu's that support opencl just sitting there being wasted since their using a dedicated video card. There's your physics processor right there.

16. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

I think you misunderstand the meaning of the word capability.

It's very capable of GPGPU based acceleration, but not many games are using Bullet or open equivalents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Azrael5

Azrael5 What's a Dremel?

By the way of opensource, someone made physic effects by python,,,

I think about rendering effects on fisic. What render fisic by AMD gpu?

18. Azrael5

Azrael5 What's a Dremel?

AMD Talks GPU Gaming Physics

19. Azrael5

Azrael5 What's a Dremel?

Hello to all of you... boyz.

By the way of opensource someone introduced, I red about python experiments...

I'm interested to understand what kind of libraries are used to render fisic effects on AMD gpu cards.

thanks

Tags: Add Tags