1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD unveils G3MX technology

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 26 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That sounds like interesting stuff, although I'm not sure it affects mere desktop users like ourselves - I think I can cope with 8 DIMM's-worth. :)

3. leviathan18

leviathan18 What's a Dremel?

what we need is barcelona

4. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

There have been about 9 new sockets from AMD in the past year. Anyone else annoyed by this?

5. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

/\ I"m annoyed Phenom hasn't debuted....man do I want to see what that little piece of 45nm silicon can do....

6. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I certainly agree, but I find that AMD is striking the nails into its own crucifix when they are creating a massive compatibility disparity from so many different sockets for such negligible improvements. What the hell are they thinking?!

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

Phenom is 65nm :)

8. devdevil85

I thought 45nm in 2008? That's what I'm waiting for....

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yep, that's Shanghai (at least that's what the server part is codenamed) - mid-08, apparently. :)

10. devdevil85

OMG I'm getting lost in translation....too many codenames....either way I'm waiting for a 45nm AMD CPU.....

11. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Sounds nice for companies - able to fit in more memory that potentially costs a lot less and uses less power ?

Wasn't AM2 released more than a year ago ? which leaves AM2+ and the (forthcoming?) AM3 in the desktop market and aren't they all backwards/forwards compatible anyway ?

I doubt corporations will be too bothered by more slot changes in the server market - they'll just build new servers with whatever is the best setup for them at the time anyway.

12. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Scalability will be a bit of a problem for there will be a remarkably thin array of configuration options with so many sockets. And we already know that many enterprise solution providers always incorporate some form of a proprietary measure in their products, making solutions from other providers incompatible with each other. I'm pretty sure there are at least another three sockets (I think they were just called M- or S-sockets, or whatever) later this year, plus AM2+ and AM3, and then we've got Socket F and the soon-to-be F+.

13. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Sounds like it could be a nice added extra to the virtualization market. AMD has always had the upper hand in terms of memory management when using ESX.

14. naokaji

naokaji whatever

well... just had to comment on the not another bunch of sockets stuff....

atleast amd releases new sockets.... intel requires you to buy new mainboards with the same socket....

or do you think you can run a QX6850 in every mainboard with socket 775? with different sockets its far easier for the end user to tell what mainboard is compatible with what cpu.

15. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

All the socket changes are a combined marketing (proffits) for both processor, motherboard and memory makers. (and maybe some new fancy graphic slot to add gpu makers) If they would build everything for the same sockets/slots/etc. Nobody would buy new memory, motherboard and processors anymore.

Tags: Add Tags