1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC AMD780 or Nvidia 9300/9400?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Garbach, 28 Apr 2009.

1. Garbach

Garbach What's a Dremel?

After over 5 years of loyal service my old HTCP has finally died. Shipping it from Holland to NZ and back proved to be a bit too much.

So now I have to decide to go with the AMD780 chipset or the newer chipset with the Nvidia 9400 integrated graphics.

My main question is whether or not the extra options of the nvidia chipset are worth the extra cost: that setup would cost about twice as much as the AMD one. Apart from the zotac review couldn't find much about it on the bit-tech site either.

I don't care too much about the whole superduper audio part as I don't have high end audio anyway. I do want good image quality though.

Anyone found some more info on this or has hand on experience with them both?

2. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

9400 isn't worth the cash unless you're trying to play a few games at medium res without purchasing an extra graphics card. It's really just a (large) speed boost over the 9300, and the 9300 handles HD playback without issue.

I've had direct experience with a 9300 board, and it's a solid platform. Anandtech likes it, too:

So if there's a realistic way to work the 9300 into your system given the pricing brackets, you probably should. If not, however, it's certainly not like a 780G system won't give you solid HD playback/etc. Really, at the end of the day, neither one will leave you disappointed.

- Diosjenin -

Last edited: 28 Apr 2009