1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding AMP Ideas for mounting inside PC ?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by j.rhy@n, 25 Mar 2005.

1. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n What's a Dremel?

Hi..

My mod you can view from my sig..

Story is , I stripped a set of Medion Speakers down and mounted the PCB , on/off switch and led inside the PC , wired power switch to rear and then hooked it up to the speakers. All seemed well but now I get this anoying buzzing sound from the speakers. So I removed all and it seems even away from the PC the speakers still buzz. This would mean that the amp is screwed becuase even after a re wire it still does the same...

So my question is , think this is a failure mod (Speakers/Amp that is) or can it be salvaged by another means ?

any ideas becuase Im outa ideas...

thx

2. tater salad

tater salad What's a Dremel?

all i can think of, is try different speakers(hook different speakers up to the amp). and if that doesnt work, let it sit for a week or two and try again.

3. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n What's a Dremel?

Hi, I tried different speakers and it does same thing, so its the amp for sure...Im just looking for ideas on how I can achive my goal with out totaly spoiling my mod..

4. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

oddly enough, it might be the amp's volume knob. I have a creative sbs 5.1 system and if you wiggle the volume knob (its on a seperate wire) than my subwoofer will stop humming like crazy.

my suggestion: wiggle things.

5. Agamer

Agamer Minimodder

Ahh, the old wiggling the knob trick.

But I agree, my old amp had the same problem so I wiggled the volume knob about 100 times and it was fine, so I don't know if that’s any help but enjoy.

6. Visionism

Visionism What's a Dremel?

You know my mum used to tell me that if you wiggled your knob all the time it would fall off.

Is the amp enclosed or is it just a bare pcb? You'll pick up a lot of interference that way. try putting it in a metal box or better still a non conductive box lined with aluminum paint. Also check your earthing. Earth loops cause no end of trouble with audio gear to the extent that most pro audio solutions have a ground lift switch to banish annoying hum.

Edit: Here's some more info about ground loops
    GROUND LOOPS AND HOW TO FIX THEM