1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And on the subject of driving..

Discussion in 'General' started by :: kna ::, 31 Oct 2002.

1. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

..I think I'll have a rant about Roundabouts and people who don't understand them.

Today I was sat at a mini-roundabout with exits ahead, and right. The person in front of me is sat there wanting to turn right, whilst traffic is coming from the right. They have right of way, so we go nowhere. Fine.

Then the traffic from ahead appears and, having right of way, starts coming over the roundabout. Now, at this point, *we* have right of way because effectively, we're on the right of them.

Nothing.

The other driver just sits there. So I toot my horn.. nothing. So I honk it again.. then she points at the traffic like she can't go and starts shouting at me. Aside from swearing, I'm trying to mouth the words 'YOU HAVE RIGHT OF WAY, GO!' so she understands why I'm beeping.

Sorry, I'M IN THE WRONG for understanding how traffic works? I hate people who blame me for their failings.. :miffed:

2. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

There are idiots on the roads.

Ones that p*** me off:

People who think that indicators are an optional extra
    People who drive at 1 speed. 45 in a 60 limit, 45 in a 40 limit, 45 in a 30 limit.
    People who change speed all over the place on the motorway. 55 one minute, 85 the next.
    People who live in the middle lane of the motorway, when it's an empty road and they can pull into the left lane.
    People who take two goes to park a smart car or any other small hatchback. I can park a 16' 4x4 in one go. It's not that difficult.

3. delphia

delphia What's a Dremel?

bieng a motorcyclist i have one major gripe.

PEOPLE WHO THINK THAT JUST CAUSE THEIR CAR HAS MIRRORS THEY DOINT HAVE TO USE THEIR NECK!

ive been merged on so many times because people cant remember to swivel their neck to LOOK ... ITS CALLED A BLIND SPOT FOR A REASON PEOPLE!

4. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I was driving into work this morning in the far right lane (the slow one) doing 70mph and an old man (whom I assume to be clinically insane) passes me on the left and is pointing at me and honking... first I think maybe there is something wrong with my truck and start doing a quick check of the mirrors and making sure nothing is flying out of the bed (which is always empty).

I ignore this lunatic and continue on... later I pass him (because he is he is one of those that Isaac mentioned that does 55 one minute and 85 the next) and, again, he's honking and pointing at me and making all these wild gestures. I am totally puzzled because I couldn't have cut him off at any point because I have been driving in the same lane for 15 miles or so. He is a normal looking guy with a sport coat and a tie... (not a diaper like most of the people that yell at me on the highway)... made me very paranoid. :worried:

5. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

my pet road peeves

people who DONT HAVE A SODDIN LICENCE (the amoutn of times a unlicenced, un insured driver has run ito one of my parents cars is too much

people eho dont indicate - there fitted for a reason

people who chnage lanes or turn off & indicate half way round or half way though the manoever

peopel who try to force me off the road as imin the par tof the line i want & as im only a scooter rider they must ahve right of way over me

people carriers & big vehiles you cant see past

kevins in nova or other idiots liek that

people who dont know roundabouts

people who drive liek there acelelrator is guled down

people who have no hands on the wheel (ive seen this)

woment who drive & are on the phone & do thee lipstic etc while driving

men who shave @ the wheel

i ahve plent more but its too cold to sit & type them

6. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Banned

i agree with delphia, most of the time i stay at the bvack right of a vehicle to i can if i must acceralte pass them, or doge out of the way of a car stopping etc,but when drivers dont look in there mirrors,to turn or anything its so annoying, because you have to be careful of them when its there fault..... oh yeah and ppl who dont move out they wa of police cars, abu's etc,

7. eddie_dane

we have bumper stickers over here in the states (see them all the time) "look twice it could save a motorcyclist's life"...

8. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Won't be much consolation when you run one over cos you're too busy reading the bumper sticker....

9. eddie_dane

Isaac always has a way of letting the air outta my balloon... :hehe:

10. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Amen! Was riding my scooter along a road with a 40 limit, doing just over 40 (the maximum speed of my scooter at the time, but I'm coming to that in a minute). A cement mixer decides he needs to overtake me on a corner, but being the big bugger that he is, the back end of him gets closer to me as he goes round the corner and forces me onto the grass by the side of the road!

My slightly OT rant:

I haven't had my scooter since last friday though when I took it to be repaired because of lack of power and the transmission being a bit dicey. First of all it just needed the rollers changing at a cost of £50. Then they needed to take the carburettor off, at a cost of £35. Now it turns out that the bearings + seals have gone! I haven't had the chance to speak to the mechanic yet as he's off sick today but I get the feeling this is going to cost me a bomb! I'm a bit annoyed, I can't do my computer work either because I don't have any transport :sigh:

11. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

scooter repair bills are really realy high

mine cost 3 times as mcuh as the quote when it had the work for its MOT done simply as most are well thrashed

& you thrahs it by runningit at the limit:waah:

12. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

I hate it when you ask someone from the midlands for directions and they refer to roundabouts as Islands

13. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Ok here we go:
    > People who talk and drive. My dad has a hands free (proper one with mics and speakers fitted, controls on steering wheel etc) in his car and the most he ever says to people is "I'm driving right now call you back" or a 10 sec conversation.

> People who don't know how to use indicators to change lanes properly

> Boy racers who think going 50mph on a 30mph road in a dodgy looking Pug 205 is cool.

> People who honk just because your driving at the speed limit.

14. ChriX

ChriX ^

I have no rants about other road users yet as I don't use the roads yet... first driving lesson tomorrow though (I think) and I passed my theory last week :D

15. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Well at roundabouts you give wya to the right, yes. But roundabouts are stupid, say you have 4 entrances/exits of the roundabout, there are 4 cars, 1 at each of them, they all give way to there right, no one goes anywhere, your then stuck there for all eternity! Simple really, roundabouts are better than crossroads but really they shouldnt work!

16. delphia

delphia What's a Dremel?

your assuming all 4 of the cars arrive at once, and that all 4 are courteous

17. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Yes but you get my point?

18. Sgt. Gimp

Sgt. Gimp What's a Dremel?

Not really, you only have to give way to traffic to your right that is already ON the roundabout. Since none of the cars in your example are on the roundabout, all four can enter it simultaneously.

19. jethro

jethro Modthusiast

my favorite are the mindless creatons that say signal left, and then go right. people dont you know left from right. we learned that about the same time we learnd ABC + 123

20. kanes

kanes What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 9 Dec 2004