1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Android 4.2.2 gamepad

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dazza007, 26 Jul 2013.

1. Dazza007

Dazza007 New Member

Hi,
    I want to get into retro gaming on the android platform so I got the galaxy s4 but cant find a compatible gamepad, does anyone know of one? all the ebay jobbies say use older system.

Daz

2. ferret141

ferret141 Well-Known Member

Do you want an authentic gamepad or any will do?

If you're going to wire up the game pad then you will need an USB-OTG adapter. It allows to hook up USB devices. Flash drives, mice, keyboards and more including the PS3 controller if my memory serves me correctly. For using the PS3 controller via Blutooth I think you need to install a driver to your phone and may need root access for that.

3. Dazza007

Dazza007 New Member

Ideally I'd prefer the genuine Samsung gamepad but it's looking like they'll never release it. So next I'd rather have a bluetooth one. If you root the phone can you be causing problems in the future?

4. ferret141

ferret141 Well-Known Member

This will be brief as I wrote a lot and it disappeared.

I see the Official Samsung gamepad as being too expensive and you will be waiting for it Whenever that is.

My preferred solution is to buy a USB-OTG adapter. This will allow you to connect other devices to your phone such as mice, keyboards, USB drives etc. Including gamepads.
    Please note not all gamepads are compatible. I have a Microsoft Sidewinder that works and a Saitek one that doesn't. The PS3 one is sure to work wired with no additional effort but plugging it into the adapter and setting up your emulator.
    You can make your own USB-OTG adapter too if you don't want to buy one.

The next option if you don't want to use wires is get something like this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koolertron-...76491603&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+controller
    I can't comment on quality or compatabilty since I have never used one before.

I read once you can use a Wii gamepad. You just need an app to pair it.

The final option would be to use the PS3 controller wirelessly. This does require your phone to be rooted. Root is like having administrative access. It won't cause you problems in your day to day usage but could if you need a warranty replacement (phone can be put back into unrooted state).
    More info on root:http://androidforums.com/internatio...gs-root-guide-last-updated-22-feb-2013-a.html
    Guide (check which version of the S3 you have first): http://www.androidnz.net/2012/06/at-your-own-risk-how-to-root-your.html