1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Angled Optical Drives???

Discussion in 'Modding' started by JazX101, 4 Sep 2005.

1. JazX101

JazX101 What's a Dremel?

Was just wondering if anyone had / has mounted optical drives at an angle in a custom system atall, just wanting too know if it would cause any problem with the disks?! Any thoughts etc let me know!
    Thanks
    Jaz )|(

2. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

as long as it is at a 90 degree angle and the disk tray can hold the disk in place, i see no problms.

3. alpha112

alpha112 Modder

Old optical drives have issues with being mounted in stange positions in my experience (working in a pc repair shop) and make horrible sounds. Most new ones seem fine though.

The old compaq servers had optical drives on their sides permanently, as does the PS2. The only problem I can see is mounting it upside down: the disk will fall out.

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I think you'd have best luck with a slotloadif you were to mount it at an angle. I'd say with a normal tray-load it's best at only a 90* angle of sorts.

5. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

99% of disk trays have tabs on the corners to prevent the disk from falling out, when the drive is placed on its side, sometimes you can even pull them to lock the disk in place, so that only you can pull it out, otherwise no, best way to try dude, just hook up a psu to a cdrom, and put a cd you dont care about in there, try it at different positions, worst thing that can happen, you kill a disk :duh: ohh crap not that poor poor disk... :D