1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Another "help me pick a phone" thread...

Discussion in 'General' started by twentynine, 17 Jan 2009.

1. twentynine

twentynine Can never win...

Alrighty. Its time for a new phone. I'm considering two phones: The Apple iPhone 3G and the HTC Fuze.

While I'm not really an Apple person...the iPhone has a lot of the features, music and video to be specific, which I am looking for. What bothers me though is it is also completely touch screen. That alone somewhat bothers me, but I believe I can adapt. The HTC Fuze has the keyboard that I love, but not the multifunctionality of the iPhone. Both phones have things I'm looking for, but neither fits the bill.

Does anyone have any insights into these phones? Or can someone else suggest another phone?

Also, do you have to get a contract specifically for the iPhone? I'm apart of my family's plan and we unlimited texting and minutes, but no internet(which I want to change). Would I have to get another contract on top of the one we already have?

2. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

In the UK you can only get the eyefone on certain o2 contracts.

3. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

If you get the iPhone, I think you'd need to be on a special O2 plan that isn't part of your family plan. I love my iPhone though, and a friend of mine who has the HTC Diamond has said it crashes 3 times daily. That isn't to say the iPhone doesn't have its fits sometimes, and maybe he was unfortunate, but I do believe that the iPhone is a stellar device for music, phone activities, surfing the net and playing games.

4. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

iPhone if it's not too much hassle to sort out the contract issues - I love mine. It's great that these days pretty much anything you could think of that the iPhone could be capable of, it is - via apps. There's over 15,000 now.

5. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

I love my 3g! I have no reservations recommending it to anyone. If you can't sort out the contract issues then I'm sure the Fuze would be fine, but if you can swing the 3g, then do it!

6. twentynine

twentynine Can never win...

Hmm. I'm in the US, but thanks for all the input guys. Anyone else have anything to say?

Thanks again!

7. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I'd recommend the iPhone to anyone looking for a mobile in that price range. Yes, its keyboard is a bit of a pain initially, but you'll be able to type pretty quickly after a week or two, and as an all-round device it can't be beaten.

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've had an iPhone almost since day one (as in paid the $600 launch price), and still love it. There are a couple of quirks that mildly irritate me, but those are related with third-party software half the time anyways. The only thing that I find genuinely annoying is the lack of CalDAV calendar support outside of Apple's own (still rather buggy) MobileMe, and a similar equivalent for contacts.

The keyboard isn't perfect, but it works very well for a touchscreen keyboard. You get used to it fairly quickly, and the autocorrection is usually very accurate - as much as I can hope for without it doing predictive grammar-based corrections anyways. The browser, while not desktop speed, is pretty much perfect - and with the number of iPhone-optimized sites out there, you should never have any issues with it. I'd say that 80% of the use mine gets falls under browsing or email, with another 15% or so going towards casual gaming. I never talk much on the phone, not that I could if I wanted to with how poor reception is at my house.

9. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I would personally get the Fuze, it fixes most of the issues the Diamond has and I am largely pleased with my Diamond.

The iPhone does have a lot more storage though.

10. alastor

alastor Minimodder

The Touch Pro (Fuze) has a MicroSD slot though so can be expanded, wish our Diamond had the same :(

HTC Touch HD perhaps? No idea what they call that on your side of the pond though.

11. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I use NuevaSync for two-way synchronisation with Google Calendar and Contacts and it works pretty well :)

12. bixie_62

bixie_62 Minimodder

I must agree with anyone suggesting the 'Fuze', im a user of the touch pro, the non-branded version and i love it to bits

to be fair, the fuze is a helluva lot more 'multifunctional' than the iphone, the iphone tends to have a lot of 'gimmicky' applications and only a handful of applications that are of any real use. i mean, on my brothers iphone he's got loads of cool stuff like that labyrinth game and bubble wrap, but on my touch pro, i can get some variant of all of them, and if i was so inclined i could easily write a version of my own!

the touch pro/fuze is brilliant, head over www.xda-developers.com and in their forums they have a dedicated fuze/touch pro section under the name 'Raphael'

there you'll find many fixes to common issues and once you've applied them you'll really find its a much better phone than the iphone!

13. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Wait for the Palm Pre, it looks awesome.

14. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I am amused by the name of the Palm, with the accent, it is almost like "pray". And it runs on a modified version of PHP or something.

15. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

With the iPhone all I can say is try before you buy! I was very strongly considering one until I tried one in an O2 shop, I couldn't type for crap on it, I have pretty damn thin fingers and the majority of the time it registered the wrong letter.

It was a lot better when I used the index finger of the hand not holding the phone, but if I can't hold and type with the same hand then I don't wanna know :)

I'm bad mouthing the iPhone, I know a few people who love it and have no troubles, just be sure to try it first.

16. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

QFT.

I'd been using a touch for some time prior to getting my iPhone, so it wasn't that big a change for me, but going from standard tactile buttons to a touch screen is unusual.

If you hate it at first, spend five or ten minutes familiarising yourself with the keyboard, because it really is a 'culture' shock at first.

I'm no longer a fan of the phone, because it has no tactile buttons, and I really like wearing gloves - It makes it a bitch to answer calls fast enough. I won't be having another one for that reason.

I've also been having battery life issues that Apple are unwilling to help me with, which is a bit of a bugger, but that's not to say that they're all like that.

I can't speak for the HTC thing, because I've never used one, but hey. The iPhone isn't a bad phone, if you're okay to charge it regularly, learn to use the keyboard (I have relitively big thumbs: Thumb/ipod touch, and I'm pretty quick on the keyboard), and can get used to looking like a trend whore :p

17. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

True. But when will they spread the GSM love?

18. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

Oops, that was meant to say I'm NOT bad mouthing the iPhone, a freudian slip perhaps? :worried: