1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another new guy to modding || Updated July 7th

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Xipher, 23 May 2004.

1. Xipher

Xipher What's a Dremel?

HI all :D, I have been chatting a little bit in here, not much. I am kinda new to the whole modding thing, although I have been following it alot, I haven't actually done much of it. Well, I am getting started with a pretty simple one now, so I hope to get some things under my belt so to speak. I would also like to say sorry if the pics are kind of slow, the're not that big, but they are being hosted by my ISP. If needed I will host them some where else.

Basic Idea of the mod is to do some of the basics. I will be adding 2 120mm fans in the top and bottom of the case, doing a side window, and try to build a simple on/off fan controler. I am starting off with a Chieftec Matrix mid tower that has the front USB and Firewire ports on it.
    I have gotten a couple things out of the way, like getting the case, and the 120mm fans.

The 120mm fans I am using are big Delta's, they can push alot of air. They won't be on very offten, only if things start getting a little to hot in the case.

[​IMG]

Now, this thing takes 3 Amps to start :jawdrop:, so I am thinking about having a dedicated 12V power supply just for that, and the other fans. One nice thing about that is I can control all the fans (not including the one in the main psu) without turning on the computer:clap:

Now, I already added the switch that will turn these 2 beasts on

[​IMG]

Here is a close up shot of that

[​IMG]

and with the cover up

[​IMG]

You probably get the idea of why I chose this style of switch :hehe:

I also got the Power Supply this past thursday, I had some customiztions done to it adding black connectors every where, which I think adds a little to it.

[​IMG]

This is a PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 510 if you don't recognize it, here is a pic of the label, with the specs

[​IMG]

Well, that about does it for my starting post.
    Also, I will be painting the case black, and interior will probably be lit with green in some way. I might have a friend of mine do some air brushing on the side without the window, thinking about either the Slipknot S symbol, or an image from one the Spawn covers.

Please feel free to ask any questions :thumb: and thanks for reading.
    Oh, and I don't really have a problem with noise if your wondering, I can always turn up the music if needed :rock:

Last edited: 7 Jul 2004
  2. Jon Mooring

Jon Mooring What's a Dremel?

Ooo, me likes :) I really like the switch idea, but maybe you should get some wire sleeving as well, if you really wanna customize your PSU :)

3. Xipher

Xipher What's a Dremel?

Most of it came pre sleved, but I might finish up the parts that weren't done.

4. Jon Mooring

Jon Mooring What's a Dremel?

Yea I was referring to the naked ones :D I hope to get my first mod job started soon, maybe we can bounce ideas off each other!

5. Xipher

Xipher What's a Dremel?

Sounds like an idea :D :rock: :thumb:

6. Xipher

Xipher What's a Dremel?

Well, to let you all know, I have been working on the project. I got the fan holes cut, and the mounting holes. I just orderd switches for the other fans. Should have more pictures up soon. Oh, and I also orderd Motherboard, CPU, Memory, Video, and Hard drive. I hope to have it running by the end of this week, and pictures to show for it soon. :thumb:
    After I get it up and running, I will probably tear down, and do the paint on it.

7. Xipher

Xipher What's a Dremel?

As promised, I got pics done, and ready to post

[​IMG]
    Shot of the top, with the 120 exhaust fan.
    [​IMG]
    Shot from the top, same as above basicly
    [​IMG]
    Showing the inards as they are now, hardware should be coming thursday, and friday. Hope to have gentoo running thursday night though, as only some extra fans, and molex connectors are coming on friday.
    [​IMG]
    This shows the inside of the top better, you can probably see the molex power connetor for the big fans, which runs to the switch.
    [​IMG]
    Now, personally, I just had to go with a slot loading DVD-ROM, just looks so much better :rock:
    [​IMG]

Now, this is probably one of the big thing I did with this mod, I cut a big hole in the bottom of the case for intake, now dust might be a problem, but since these fans won't be running ALL the time, shouldn't become to much of an issue. I used window screen for a grill basicly, since the feet interfer with the regular grills.

Well, thats my big update, and please, tell me what you think!

8. Crazy_Seb

Crazy_Seb What's a Dremel?

WHAT?! I CANT HEAR YOU CUZ OF THE DAMN DELTA SCREAMERS?! :eeek:

Should cool your case down considerably tho. :) Nice job.

9. Hallq16

Hallq16 What's a Dremel?

as for cables, you can ducttape them between the right side panel and motherboard-holding-side panel. and probably it would be good idea to remove cables what you don't need. thisway cable management is easier and case looks cleaner :thumb:

anyway, keep up the good work! :rock: i have chieftech dragon case and i havent modded it yet, so i'll be waiting to see, what will you turn this thing into :dremel: ...so i probably could get some good ideas :D

10. Twernmilt

Twernmilt What's a Dremel?

Definatly open up your power supply and clip out the unneeded cables, it makes a world of difference.

11. Deep-Blue

Deep-Blue Part-time Overclocker

Great choice of case! I personally want to get one after building a machine here at worked based in one!

S'one big mutha of a fan btw, should get great cooling with it!

Keep it up mate!

12. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Nice case and nice mods so far.
    Just an idea though, how about you place the top fan guard underneath the metal top piece so as to 'stealth' the blow hole, looks much neater imo, if the cuts arn't so great use some C molding / trim to tidy it up ( and also cut down on vibration noise ) :)

13. omicron

omicron Baud.

Looking good, but I have a few doubts about the slipknot logo ;)

14. Xipher

Xipher What's a Dremel?

The Slipknot was and Idea, but not something I was baseing the entire mod on, its pretty optional to me.

15. Xipher

Xipher What's a Dremel?

Well, I got most of the hardware today, Mobo, CPU, Memory, Videocard, and Hard drive. Doing a stage1 install of gentoo right now, going through boot strap actually. I should have pictures for you guys in a while. I should be getting my case fans tomarrow as well.
    Oh, and its a AMD64 Socket 939 setup if you wanted to know.