1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Another Oblivion play through before Skyrim (mod suggestions)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Ljs, 27 Apr 2011.

1. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I plan on playing Oblivion again before the arrival of Skyrim. When I originally played it through and did so without any mods.

This time I'd like to use some mods, to make it a bit more fun and to enhance the graphics.

I found this list on PC Gamer of '10 essential mods' and was using that as a rough guide to begin with.

So far I have selected:
    • Unoffical Oblivion Patch
    • Oblivion Mod Manager
    • Qarl Textures
    • Francesco's Leveled Creatures & Items
    • Darnified
    • Deadly Reflex
    • Unique Landscapes
    • Natural Environments
    • Better Oblivion Sorting Software

Can anyone else cast their mind back and suggest any mods? I'm not looking for anything silly, just to make the game a bit prettier mainly and I don't want too many - all these mods seem like a bit of a ball ache to handle.

I was thinking maybe some more textures to cover what Qarl Textures misses out and Better Cities or something?

Last edited: 27 Apr 2011
  2. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Excellent thanks!

The link I was looking at was a bit light on information but seemed to be a reasonable list. The thread you linked seemed to have someone clued up giving some help...

Guess I have a bit more reading/downloading to do.

Cheers.

3. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Midas' Magic is pretty fun as well.
    And you have it already, but just another vote of confidence for Deadly reflex's, makes the game SO much more fun.

And I'm not sure if it's included in unique landscapes or not, but an open cities mod is pretty awesome too, makes the world feel a bit more alive, without the jarring loading screens.

EDIT: Just remembered another one.
    Curse of Hircine, adds werewolves and werewolf hunters into the game. As well as the ability to become a werewolf (a bit similar to the way you can become a vampire). Just a warning, you might have to turn it off when you do the thieves guild quests, as turning into a werewolf part-way through can be a bit akward :p

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

FCOM, DARN UI, Qarls Textures, Better Cities, Midas Magic and Deadly Reflex.

Admittedly FCOM is quite daunting to install, but the stuff you get makes oblivion much more lush than it previously was.

5. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Heres the mods im currently using:

One or two changes due to some conflicts, had to stop using OBGE (graphics extender) for the time being as it crashes my game :/ all working now tho and game looks great :D
    • Unoffical Oblivion Patch
    • Unoffical SI Patch
    • Unoffical Mods Patch
    • Unofficial DLC Patches
    • Unoffical Patch Suppliments
      -
    • Wyre Bash (Mod manager)
    • BOSS
    • Script Extender
    • Stutter Remover Patch + Streamliner
    • FastExit2
      -
    • Darnified UI
    • Quest Log Manager
    • Hud Status Bars
    • Display Stats
      -
    • Qarl Textures
    • Animated Window Lighting System + Chimneys
    • Better Cities + Open Cities Reborn + Bartholm
    • IFT - Improved Facial Textures
    • Unique Landscapes + Compatabillity Patches
    • Natural Environments + Ryu's fix
    • MOBS
    • Francesco's Leveled Creatures & Items + Optional addon
    • Marts Monster Mod
    • Midas Spells
    • Deadly Reflex

The first group are all fixes to the base game the second is for mod management and a few fixes to prevent crashes on exit etc.. You should use all of them imo and wyre is definitely the mod manager to use tbh.
    The third group is all graphical improvements, the only one id say you should/could skip is bartholm as thats a new cit.
    The last group is addons really but i would say defiantly worth using, the first 2 add so many new features and monsters its shocking and improves gameplay in some aspects.

All the above are worth taking a look at but make sure that once you've installed what you want run boss, because some things like deadly reflex require other mods like drop lit torch and boss will tell you :)

Theres loads more mods out there and i'm quite sure i'm gonna end up using a few more like crowds for cities n such, the mods are what makes this game so great, even if its only to improve the game and not heavily change it.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2011
    Ljs likes this.
  6. Ljs

Ljs Modder

All those mods for one game!!

I was trying to keep it at a minimum tbh so things didn't get too excessive...

Cheers, I'll look into some and cherry pick what I fancy.

7. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Theres thousands mate, check tesnexus.com, its got em all!
    You have to register to download files over 2mb and watch annoying adds occasionally but half the mods are only available there.

Check my post as well, updated it a bit :)

8. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

The Unofficial patches cannot be considered as mods - they fix the game. ;)
    The Improved series of mods upgrades some textures that QTP misses out. I use this website to find texture overhauls. Other than that, FCOM is great (but a pain at first), Deadly Reflex, Kvatch Rebuilt, All Natural (weather), Immersive Interiors, Unique Landscapes, Let the People Drink, New Roads mod (forgotten name) etc.

On a side note: Deadly Reflex 6 is in release beta! Horse combat awaits!

And for a bit of fun - PJ's Disco Mod. It can ruin quest scripting though, so watch out when using it. I would also avoid Duke Patrick's mods, as they caused me lots of conflicts. And use Wrye Bash! It is required for FCOM but all mods benefit from it. OBMM simplifies mod installation, so I recommend that as well.

EDIT: And Better Cities as well, which now has the added option of Open Better Cities.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2011
  9. Gh0stDrag0n

Gh0stDrag0n Unleash the Beast!

My favorites are...
    FCOM
    Unique Landscapes
    Blood & Mud
    Elsweyr: The Deserts of Anequina
    Better Cities
    Frostcrag Reborn
    Midas Magic
    The Lost Spires
    Millstone Farm
    Cobl
    Vilja (companion mod)
    There are so many good mods it is hard to remember them all.
    Last playthrough I had around 300 mods installed, quite a pain to get them all working together.

Nehrim: At Fate's Edge is also very good, it is a total conversion mod though and has nothing to do with the Elder Scrolls series. You can find it at moddb.com.

10. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Just look through tesnexus top 100 and see what catchs your eye.
    Avoid some of the larger conversion mods if your completing the main storyline though.