1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another "omg my hardware" thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zephyr, 27 Apr 2005.

1. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

So, I just pieced together the system I'll buy for my next upgrade. I'll keep my current RAM, hard drive, psu (I think....hope...) hard drives, optical drives...yada yada. I'm also getting a watercooling kit, so I'll have no problem (hopefully) achieving the crazy overclocks the Venice cores and DFI SLi-DR boards are supposed to achieve \o/

[​IMG]

This won't be ordered until summer, and I may get a cheaper processor, the 3200+ Venice. As of now, that's the only one Newegg has, and they've only had it for a few hours ;). I can always hope to overclock the difference, but we'll see. Prices usually go down in the summer anyway.

Opinions?

2. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Not bad. *grumbles werds of jealousy*

3. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Looks like a nice upgrade. I bet you're psyched that you only need 3 nice components to make a sweet new system.

4. robbybertu15

robbybertu15 <b>needs a job</b>

Why would you buy an SLi mobo and get an ati card?

5. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

My thoughts exactly. Why not just stick with the Ultra-D? Unless you want the useless extra LP gubbins, or the useful diagnostic LEDs ;)

6. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

Stupid cheap new egg... :waah: nice choice for whats pretty much peanuts :blah: :(

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

ok, rant time
    there have been so many threads cropping up saying "oh this is what im going to get in the summer"

my advice for anyone speccing out a system for the summer: WAIT FOR THE SUMMER!!

tech will change, proces will drop, you will change opinions, the best will be replaced by better, you may go broke, you may win millions, you may get hit by a car and wind up a vegetable. it is ridiculous to plan "this is what im going to get" until youre actually going to buy it. sure you can keep in the loop and have a good idea of parts that are top knotch and parts that you may be interested in, but there is no point making the mind up so far in advance

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

haha british sucker :hehe:

Yeah, Newegg is just the w1n for everything. Shame they don't ship international for you guys... but after shipping, import duties and VAT it probably wouldn't be much cheaper.

you make a good point mister_tad but you at least want to have some ideas. but prices come down too, so you may just be waiting for that. You don't need the best and most expensive. Note the processor in my SLI rig (3000+, although it IS overclocked) - hella cheaper than an FX55... some $700 chaeper I think.

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

putting the exact items in a shopping cart is more than "having an idea" if you ask me ;)

10. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Hyping about hardware is a very good way to learn things about computers, so long as the person knows what they're doing and uses google to find their answers on their own. I first got into computers when I said something about buying a new computer, and someone suggested I build my own. Soon enough, I found myself hyping about it and spending [a lot of] time. After about 3-4 months of planning and learning, I finally had enough to build a decent budget gaming computer... I still feel I couldn't have chosen better components (could have gotten a better case though :x).

All in all, it's great to plan.

11. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Well, my problem is, I've now found a buyer for my mobo and cpu, and have a possible buyer for my video card... Trust me, I've been waiting 6 months for an upgrade, this isn't sudden.

Why buy an SLi board with an ATi card? Well, I'm buying and ATi card because it outperforms the 6800GT by a little AND a lot, a little in Doom3 and Far Cry, and a lot in Half Life 2, the game that I play the most. And the X800 XT is $50 cheaper, AND I'm used to ATi cards and favor them a bit. The driver support is certainly shite, but I lean toward ATi over nVidia. Plus having an SLi-enabled mobo opens me up for upgrades for years to come, as this system will hopefully last me many years to come. I am thinking about knocking the SLi-DR down to an Ultra-D, but we'll see. I could possibly be ordering within, oh, say a week :worried:, so I'm trying to get my head completely straight before I spend >$700 on an upgrade I hope shall last me awhile.

;)

12. BBurger

BBurger What's a Dremel?

This just about sums up my (fairly) recent experience exactly! Decided last fall that the old beige box was just about done for; did a bit of looking around & research over the winter. Come the new year I got serious, starting buying bits (PSU & gfx card) that I installed in my old box first, then bought the new boxful o' stuff (Mobo, CPU, RAM + new tower) all at once. Sold the remains of the old system to a friend, which helped offset a bit of the costs!

I also think I could have gotten a better case - well, "better" is relative, but having bought a premod (ATop) my future modding options are a bit limited... I may yet scoop up one of those $15 Cdn ancient beige boxes the local store has out front and mod the sh*t out of it! :D

13. JavaBoy

JavaBoy What's a Dremel?

heh he he :hehe:

all of you kiddies movin to amd wait till summer when dual core comes out

thats what im doing........i wonder if there gona have a dual socket 939....mmmm

14. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

If youre asking if theyre going to put two socket 939 chips on one motherboard, the answer is flat out no. If youre asking if theyre going to put two cores on an Athlon 64, the answer is yes-this summer.

15. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

:thumb: Amen...

that's pretty much what i did... *including the case bit* also i messed up monitor choise

im happy with everything else as i feel i have the best components :D :naughty: :hehe:

16. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Alright. Changed the mobo to the Ultra-D rather than the SLi-DR, changed the CPU to a Venice 3200+ (I lurve you Newegg, you stock things so quickly!), and changed the graphics card to an MSI one rather than an ATi one, because it's dual DVI out. Never know when that might come in handy ;)