1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding another psone lcd question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by plazymburn, 17 Jul 2004.

1. plazymburn

plazymburn What's a Dremel?

just got mine today, a pal one, and im not happy, how come no-one said it had a mini av in port, i was under the impression i could connect composite straight from my card. second, could someone please tell me what i need to get this thing to work, its a pal sony one, so the thrustmaster wiring diagrams arent much use to me(i think). i called around today and found somewhere that has a composite to mini av cable, going the composite route, does composite turn the screen on or do i have to do the dcc thing, if so can someone explain this for me. and with the composite to vga mod what do i need for it, sorry you've probaby been asked this a thousand times. ive read the other posts from all the sites and i am struggling to make sense of it all. can someone help me please.

2. plazymburn

40 something views and noone responds c'mon guys i need advice :waah:

3. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

the clarity of the display is greatly reduced when using composite. red the bi tech article, or search around on www.mp3car.com forums for PSOne LCD mods and how to use the display as a VGA monitor.

4. plazymburn

if i go the vga route, does my graphics card need to have csync or is that just for composite, ive located all the parts i need for the vga mod and re-read everything i can find so now it seems quite simple. just confused about the csync thing. oh yeah on starfoxs site he says you need veroboard and a Ti74LS86AH IC (4 way TTL XOR gate) whats this for as i dont see these used anywhere, unless its for the hsync vsync mod for cards without csync, is that right. once again do you need csync if you do the vga mod.

5. karrektor

karrektor What's a Dremel?

what cards work?

I own a G4 Ti4600 to be honest im not sure what connectors im looking to hook the LCD upto or if this card will even do it anyone able to enlighten me ?

6. plazymburn

from what i read, cant remember where exactly as ive read so much about this mod :sigh: but the ti4600 doesnt support csync, which afaik is necessary to make this mod work you can make the vsync \ hsync to csync circuit but you need either a video card with two vga outs or a pci card. and a soldering iron,LM1881N Video Sync Separator,veroboard,wire,2 x 22uf 10v electrolitic resisitors,2 x 2.2kohm resistors,a 15 pin d shell,3 x 75 ohm resistors,and a vga cable, :rolleyes: where the heck do i get veroboard from :confused:

7. Pash91

Pash91 What's a Dremel?

Get a Matrox Mystique from Ebay. I was supposed to get mine for 99c plus shipping until someone decided it would be fun if I wouldn't get it for that price. Only payed 20 plus shipping. Not bad.

8. plazymburn

won bid for matrox pci card on ebay cost me 12.50 :D now just hope it arrives and i dont get robbed, ive never used ebay. so hopefully all i need is a 15 pin d shell, some 75ohm resistors, and a vga cable.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2004
  9. plazymburn

heres another thing i found, sony have a parts centre, call them 08705 111999 - Open 8.30-6pm Monday to Friday, and ask to be connected to their parts supplier or that your trying to find a cable for a product then you can get av connection cable(SCPH-180e) which goes from 3.5 mil jack to 3.5 mil jack not sure what you could do with it tho, seems pointless now i thought about it but there ya go

10. SanDmaN

SanDmaN Minimodder

A phono [video + 1 audio] > 3.5 jack [plugs straight into psone monitor @ back] is what you really want for composite - I got mine from a sony digi-cam - and it works a treat :]
    If you want sound then you would hack off the audio phono and add another 3.5 jack and plug in to your mobo speaker socket.

11. plazymburn

has anyone from the uk hacked up their psone screen apart and done the vga mod just wondered how it went

12. plazymburn

this is what i have so far

psone screen
    vga cabe
    waiting on matrox mystique pci card off ebay
    15 pin d shell and 75 ohm resistors coming from maplins
    wire
    impatience

this is all i need right

im probably irritating you all with this mod that you've seen done a thousand times but im new and i like it and i will make it work

Last edited: 19 Jul 2004
  13. SanDmaN

SanDmaN Minimodder

Well I have done all the wiring but cant seem to get the screen to display without distortion, this may be down to the graphics card [2mb matrox mistique].

If I plug the monitor into my 9800pro via composite it works a treat - only problem is that I wanted 2 desktops not the same 1 twice.

If any other UKers have got their screen working through powerstrip let me know your settings.

14. plazymburn

ok im getting somewhere, im just confused about powerstrip

ive got it setup,agp graphics card and matrox mystique pci

to get powerstrip to configue the psone screen i have to set the pci card as my primary in the bios however doing this my main monitor becomes the extension i've tried messing about with powerstrip but when i boot with my agp as primary i cant find the matrox card anywhere in powerstrip is this possible to do, where is it, what i mean is can powerstrip detect both of the graphics cards or just the one set as primary in the bios if not how do i set the correct settings in powerstrip cause the screen is garbled

15. fishthecat

fishthecat What's a Dremel?

Yeh. I'm using a PAL sony lcd and a Matrox mistique.

1) I couldn't get a VGA image without plugging a monitor into the card as well. I think I need that resistor trick to make windows think there's a monitor on the card. (Anyone got the URL?)

2) Fiddling with powerstrip gave me a nice flicker free image, BUT it was really dark. Really really dark. So I'm back to using tv out from my main card for now.

When using coposite/AV in, the image is VERY red. It's OK when I use my TV out as I can fiddle with colour correction, but with a camera/TV plugged into it it's far too red. Anyone got any ideas about how to make it less red?

16. plazymburn

Last edited: 22 Jul 2004
  17. MegaRouge

MegaRouge What's a Dremel?

I might not know what I'm taking about since I've only used TV out with my PSOne LCD, but on mine the brightness controls on the front can take it from very dim to insanely bright when I turn the brightness up. Wouldn't the brightness controls on the LCD itself correct that issue for you?

18. fishthecat

fishthecat What's a Dremel?

The brightness controls on my one do little. turning it up and down is enough to take the 'edge' off teh redness when using TV out, but doesn't give a readable image when using vga. I'll try re soldering with shorter wires and give it another go.

19. plazymburn

there was a redness "hack" posted somewhere on mp3carforums where you solder some kinda resistor on to the round pcb