1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Antivirus woes

Discussion in 'Software' started by mm vr, 15 Apr 2009.

1. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

We recently noticed that my friend had a very outdated version of F-Secure on his computer. He also told that it had serious problems (like keeps scanning all the time and can't be stopped etc...).

So we decided to uninstall it and install Avira instead.

So he uninstalled F-Secure, and then installed Avira. After a reboot it immedeately detected a virus, Seekmo. When he tried to remove it, the whole computer just crashed. Totally froze.

A reset, and it freezes after logging on. Another reset and it again freezes when trying to delete the virus.

Then he booted into safe mode and uninstalled Avira. Then he uninstalled Seekmo from the control panel (propably doesn't delete it really). Now the PC works fine, but has no AV (and propably has viruses).

Now we don't know what to do. I thought about running some on-demand virus remover such as Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool and then attempting to install Avira again, but decided to ask you guys first. :)

So, any suggestions?

A reinstall of Windows is pretty much not an option because he doesn't know where his Windows disk is, and he's got much data on his drive. Propably also worth mentioning that he's not the most tech-savvy person, and that he runs Windows XP.

2. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Probably correct. Get a copy of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and/or Super Anti Spyware and run one of those, complete/full scan in safe mode first, then proper Windows mode.
    Once both of those have run, reinstall Avira, scan again, look at the file it has identified as infected. It could be something crucial to Windows, hence why it wasn't booting properly or something.

Keep us informed.

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Like you yourself suggested I'd give one of the online scanners a whirl. Viable options are Kaspersky, NOD32 and even Trend Micro.

After that I'd try installing Avira again.

One tool that has been quite helpful to me in the past as an additional spyware, rootkit, virus deterral is Threatfire.

By the way, *some* people might actually call people, who use Windows XP, tech-savvy... :p

4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Okay I'll tell him to try KVRT tomorrow. :)