Food & Drink Any Air Fryer Users Here?

Discussion in 'General' started by Pookie, 6 May 2015.

1. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Very tempted to get one of these, but are they any good? Are they easy to clean? What features should I be looking at? Cheers :thumb:

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

They're ok. Doesn't make proper chips. Kinda half way between fried & oven chips.

3. Pookie

Is that with supermarket chips or home made? Do you use oven chips or frying chips lol :confused:

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Oven chips are pre-oiled, you just throw straight in.
    Other kinds, you drizzle on a single teaspoon of cooking oil.

I recently got the Philips one when Tesco knocked £101 off. The recipe book includes both rack of lamb & chocolate cake!

5. shindead

shindead What's a Dremel?

Its possibly the worst thing I have ever bought.... It only works with mccain's fries it seems as they are coated with something. Everything else it just turns into a soggy mess. Cant beat a real fryer

6. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

My parents have one of the tefal acti-fyrs of however you spell it.

Its decent enough the chips are not as crispy as normally fried ones but I still like them and there are some other recipes and things you can cook in it. So if your just getting it to make good chips you might be a bit disappointed but if you want it to help cut down oil and such used for frying and cooking should be fine

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Tefal ones have a stirrer paddle which just minces fish fingers etc. Philips' stir the air currents instead.

EDIT: TL;DR - Chippy > Deep fryer.

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

We bought a Tefal though as I no longer eat solid food it does nothing for me. But the missus buys the frozen chips and is quite happy. In fact she pretty much bungs anything in from lamb chops to prawns to meat balls and says the food is much more tasty without being swimming in fat.

9. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

thats true for cooking things like fish fingers and things that are delicate you cant use it but for chips and fried things that have a bit more solidity its fine.

10. Pookie

Shame about the fish fingers. As we have a 6 year old they tend to be a regular on the family menu.

11. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I have a philips one, mainly as a I hate the smell of a deep fryer, and its quicker than the oven if I'm in a hurry. I've cooked frozen chips,scampi,fish fingers,chicken nuggets, pizza basically anything frozen that isn't a dessert and never had anything soggy from it!

As for cleaning its just a case of washing the basket, and the base. No more difficult than an oven tray.

12. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

We have a Tefal ActiFry here. The chips is makes are quite nice, we haven't used it to make anything else since buying it, but we also haven't made chips any other way since.

Always made with freshly chopped Irish Potatoes ;)