1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any alternatives to Realtek drivers on Vista?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by TheVoice, 2 Jul 2007.

1. TheVoice

TheVoice New Member

Hi all, just upgraded to Vista and am very happy so far. My main gripe though is that I'm not forced to use the awful Realtek drivers; on XP I used nVidia drivers which worked fantastically, but now I'm on Vista, my music sounds a bit...crap. I'm also getting an annoying delay from my rear speakers, although I believe that's down to Vista and not Realtek.

So are there any alternatives? Doesn't look like nVidia plan to release audio drivers for Vista, which is unfortunate. The only other option I see is buying a dedicated soundcard. If it comes to that though, I'll probably just buy the Logitech Z-10s - they don't use the soundcard anyway and I've got no need for the 5.1 set I have now.

Thanks for any help.

Forgot to mention, I also seem to be getting an annoying occasional stutter (in Winamp at least) when playing music. Happened on XP too, again only with Realtek drivers. I really have to wonder if they even know what they're doing...

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You need some realtek drivers, Nvidia doesn't include sound drivers in its driver package. What board you using? Anything other than the 885 or perhaps the 882M/888DD it isn't worth using onboard sound.

3. TheVoice

TheVoice New Member

It's an Abit AN8-SLI Fatal1ty. I used the nVidia audio drivers for XP (from the website) without having any Realtek drivers on there, and they worked really well. Just a shame that they don't have Vista ones.

May well be a problem related to Winamp specifically though, so I'll see if there's anything on that end that I can try.