1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any builders here? Need deck advice

Discussion in 'General' started by dynamis_dk, 27 Apr 2015.

1. asura

asura jack of all trades

The same one that brings you dwangs, solum, and other odd interesting words that I can't think of at the moment.

Hardcore = usually MOT type 1 = compactable a mixture of defined sized bits of rock and quarry dust.

Blitz = quickly give it a jolly good going over.

Whacker plate = vibrating compactor plate - usually petrol driven.

Screed = cement poor sand rich mix 1:3 - 1:5.

MH = Man hole, usually 600-600 or 800-800.

Dwangs = jointing timbers fastened (usually nailed) between studs or joists to aid rigidity, depending on the length of a timber wall, you may have one, two or as many as three rows of dwangs, as well as your top and bottom plate.

Solum = what's under your joists, it's normal to remove all top soil and either leave it as the bare sub-soil or put down some hardcore and or screed.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Just a bit of further deck related information on this one.

A man came around today to take away a few ideas and measurements to formally quote some stuff, however in terms of ballpark costs for the decking I was advised (materials and labour)...

Softwood: £2100
    Mid-range composite: £6000
    High-end composite : £Like I bothered asking

So... it's a bit more expensive it seems.

I was shown some photos of a job he just came away from with the latter, with a house that was undoubtedly 5x the value of mine, so I don't feel too bad about being priced out of the market for the high end stuff :lol:

3. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

So having finally had a bit of good weather I've pressed on and finished things off this weekend and I'm pretty happy with the results. We changed up the size / shape a little to give a bit more space and now its built, very glad we did. Just needs to be cleaned and stained over the next few weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the input guys :thumb::dremel::clap: