1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any ideas?

Discussion in 'General' started by Celt, 28 Aug 2001.

1. Celt

Celt New Member

I recently purchased these items:

Motherboard: K7VTA3
    Processor: Athlon 1.4gig 266 + Fan
    RAM: 3 x 256mb PC2100

These are the other components in my PC:

GeForce2 MX, Seagate HD, IBM HD, Iomega ZIP, CDRW, Siig 1394 Card, D-Link 10/100 NIC, Origo 56kb v.90 USB Modem, Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer, Wacom Intuos A5. I am running Windows 2000 with service pack 2.

Problem: After using any USB device for a certain amount of time it will stop responding (this is using the two on-board USB ports - not the expansion ports). The only way I can make the device start working again is to restart the computer. If there are two USB devices connected then they both stop responding at the same time. I have installed the latest VIA 4in1 and the VIA USB Filter Driver and this does not help.

Any ideas? I'm gonna take the motherboard back sometime and get a different one...

2. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Is this direct off the board or via the adaptor cable? Have you tried the other set?

3. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

I had this but I dont know what I did to fix it , it happened when I reinstalled everything , try keeping your mouse and keyboard on ps2 not usb that helps :) And if that doesnt work a reinstall. Sorry I cant give anymore clues I really dont know wot I did :(

4. Phil

Phil New Member

All I can say is the problem is I think more likely a software one, although it may be induced by hardware...

I have a **** digital camera the plugs into USB, and occasioanlly while pulling pictures off it it kills all the usb on the computer - only a reboot will help.

Not that this is particularly relevant to you except that it may well be worthwhile reinstalling :(

5. Celt

Celt New Member

kna: it happens both from the expansion usb ports and the usb ports on the mobo. it also happens when i take the expansion usb things off.

gordy: it doesn't just happen with my mouse - other peripherals like my wacom intuos pad do it too. and anyway, i don't want to have crappy PS2 mouse.

i do *not* want to reinstall win2k and everything in it...

6. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

One option is the usb could be corrupted try removing it and reinstalling it ?

7. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

is it a Via chipset? if so install a newer via service pack.