1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any noticable difference??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by duggyb, 29 May 2005.

1. duggyb

duggyb What's a Dremel?

well i was wondering if i could get both these rams for the same price which would be better....i mean i know the GEIL would but will i really notice a performance gain by going from the ULTRA to the GEIL

they are

-1x 512mb Ultra PC3200
    -2x 256mb Geil PC4000

the system will be for gaming....so is there going to be a NOTICABLE differnce in the ram or will it just run a little faster clock speed but barley noticable?

THNX
    Duggy :dremel:

2. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:thumb: Depends upon the system. If it is Dual Channel capable then you need 2 sticks of RAM (1 for each channel). If it is P4 and you're o/c'ing then PC4000 is better but if you're running stock or an AMD system the PC3200 with its lower latency is preferable. What is the system it's for and what are the latency (and ideally stock voltages) for the RAM?

3. duggyb

duggyb What's a Dremel?

well its a gaming system and its a p4 3.0E which i dont plan to overclock..im just wandering if any of them you will notice a reasonable difference in say loading games and such

THNX
    Duggy:dremel:

4. duggyb

duggyb What's a Dremel?

hmmm i am thinking of mabye just staying with the 1 stick of 3200 so i dont use up my slots and all

not sure though

THNX
    Duggy:dremel:

5. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:) Well a P4 3.0E is surely going to be using Dual Channel so you really do want to use 2 sticks, there would be a significant perf hit in virtually everything if you used only 1 stick. However the extra speed the PC4000 has (500mhz over 400mhz) is essentially useless if you're not o/c'ing and it's also likely to have slightly slower timings although this will bring only a very minor perf hit. Bottom line is that you want 2 sticks so the 2x256MB Geil PC4000 is the one to go for.