Motors Anyone ever lost their only set of car keys before?

Discussion in 'General' started by Shepps, 25 May 2009.

1. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

Seem to have misplaced my only set of keys for my car after a messy bank holiday sunday. Anyone ever lost their only set before? Just wondering what kinda money im going to have to spend to get a lock smith out to break in, cut, code and reprogram a new key?

2. Jake37

Jake37 What's a Dremel?

yep had to start smashing widows bloody nightmare

3. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

so just because you lost your keys you had to go beating up women with no husband to protect them!?

4. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

hahaha, oh god. brilliant :D

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Why did you buy a car with only one set of keys? There should be at least 2, if not 3+.

Why did you take a car key out on the lash?

Call a reputable locksmith or the local car dealer - they'll be able to help you. :)

6. Shepps

Only one key was provided, getting a spare was on my to do list.. :wallbash:

I'm normally pretty good at not loosing things!

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

if its a older car then it aint such a biggy.

If it has some form of electronic imob in the key then your local dealer is going to bum you hard and deep.

8. Krikkit

Most modern(ish) cars have keycode immobilisers in the key for the ECU, so it's nice to get the programmer key with the car, so you don't have to pay a fortune for another set. With the special key you can just buy a blank and reprogram it by putting it in the ignition in a special sequence.

The other reason of course is that whoever sold you the car could turn up with the spare and take it back. Unlikely, but nice to know it's secure.

9. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Actually, my experience with modern cars (in the theme of screwing you for every... last... penny!) is that they now don't have a so-called 'master key' and require all the car's keys and immobiliser to be simultaneously re-coded by the dealer when you buy new ones. (At least, that's my experience with the household's cars; the Mini was a tidy £80 for each key and £70 for the reprogramming - welcome to London!)

And DON'T smash any windows - they're expensive, it's difficult, and it's not necessary. Even your average AA man can defeat a car's window or boot locks, not that they need entry to tow you to a dealer who will be able to do so entirely legitimately. A shady self-employed tow-trucker will probably even be able to liberate your neighbour's cars at the same time, it's that easy.

Get it towed to the dealer, let them fix it, buy lots of keys at the same time. Bring your children in part exchange, perhaps?

Last edited: 28 May 2009
  10. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I've never bought a car with just one set of keys before. The additional key/keys usually cost extra but what's another £20 or £30 when you're in a position such as yourself? ;) I've never lost a car key and thankfully haven't needed the spares for anything else but it is good to have them.

Out of interest what sort of car is it? Is the key electronic (Central Locking) or is it just a standard barrel key?

11. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

+1 to PureSilver, get it towed to the dealer and let them deal with it all. I haven't lost one yet, but a new key for my Audi run into the £170 region, and that's with the masters i have...

RwD

12. Shepps

VW Polo 1997 R reg. Central locking with transponder in the key for the immboliser. £180 for a bloke to come round and cut + code two new keys. £200 for VW to sort one key, can take upto a week and you have to tow your car there.

Toyed with the idea of getting a lockset off ebay and replacing all the lock. Seemed like more hassle though.

13. Prometheus

Prometheus Minimodder

I've managed to lock my only set of keys inside the car whilst it was running once.
    My alarm system locks the doors once the engine goes over a set rpm. I was messing about with the engine one day and blipped the throttle. next thing I hear is a clunk as all the doors lock :(

Tried to pull the battery connection off only to remember that that wouldn't stop it anyway as it's running off the alternator so pulled the ecu out.

Sat there for 5 mins thinking of ways to get into it with out smashing windows, before getting the drill and drilling the bolts out of the rear windows. Scared myself really about how easy it was to break in to if I wanted to. Also no body paid any attention to a guy breaking into a car :p

This reminds me to get another key cut as I'm bound to do it again at some point.

14. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

A week!?

Oh, wait. :duh: You tow, they unlock your car, then you have to come back after a week to get MORE keys.

Who is this man-with-van? And why don't VW just send a bloke round in a van themselves? Anyway, I seriously advise against messing with the locks. In my admittedly thankfully limited experience that's just the sort of thing the insurance loves to use as a reason not to pay up when you get your stereo nicked.

15. Krikkit

Sounds like Ford have their heads screwed on - with the wife's Focus it's just a case of buying a new key from wherever (patterns are fine apparently), putting it in the ignition in a certain sequence, and it'll write the codes onto it for you, no silly man required.

Iirc it's a similar process with my Fiat, although I haven't had a look in a while.

16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

That's pretty handy, I didn't know that about fords.