1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Anyone have any experience with hacking the WD My Books?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tomm, 2 May 2010.

1. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I've got an old (ish) WD Mybookworld NAS. For those familiar with the line, it's the 2 x 500Gb version, white with blue rings.

I actually bought this second-hand (from these forums) and the guy that I bought it from had already done the well-publicised SSH access hack. I can use the SSH for a few simple commands / navigation, but I don't understand Linux all that well.

Anyway, if I login to the panel, I get the message "Drive A Failed". Fortunately, I had it setup as RAID 1 so I've not lost the data, and I can still access the drive and all the SSH features. Now, my questions:

Can I buy a bigger drive (E.g. 1.5 Tb) to put in it? Obviously I would lose the ability to have RAID 1, but that extra storage is tantalising. I'm just not sure how that would affect the partitioning?

I've found a guide (http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/add-new-hdd-to-wdwe) but I'm too much of a noob to make any sense of that at all. I think he's suggesting that you should be able to use any size drive you like? I don't mind trying those instructions, but it seems like a lot of effort considering I don't even know what they're for exactly.

The other thing to consider is that I believe there is some drive rebuild thing built into the machine - I.e. if you simply replace the drive with an identical one, you should be able to login and the box will sort it all out. Anyone got experience of this?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?