Modding Anyone live in the US?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ::Dawg::, 27 Sep 2002.

1. ::Dawg::

::Dawg:: What's a Dremel?

Well my original thoughts were to have a group of modders close by to where I live and make some loot. But since we are so spread apart, why not advertise our presence globally.

Kinda like a "Modders of the world Unite"

Morphine you said you were good at webpages, I am pretty talented to, and currently im messing with Flash 5 and some 3d animation suites. I made a logo that looks purdy sweeet, I will upload it when I get home.

I was thinking ModThis.com and it could be sort of like a clan where all of us modders just get together and think up projects make em and sell em. What do you guys think?

2. ejmac

ejmac What's a Dremel?

I have done some mods for people, and the word of mouth has been good. I just have a problem giving the cases back when I'm done :sigh: . It's pretty funny how when a person who has never seen modding before will neeeeeeeed to have theirs modded once they see what can be done. I don't want to wear this example out but about a week and a half ago my local compusa started carrying modding stuff CC's window kits round cables etc. etc.....the basics. I went in there Saturday and all their CC's were gone (they had about a dozen). Their Koolance display model was gone @$279. 8 of their 10 or so fan grills were gone. Round cables didn't sell too well (I think most people already have them and they were charging $15). They sold nearly a dozen Antec blue LED fans and a few trilight ones at $15. Basically I am just trying to say the market is out there so go for it. I can't help much up here in CT but I have been thinking the same thing. But I have noticed another market other than the "kids with lots money". There is also the eternal live at homer;) . People that live with their parents and are in their 30's and up. I see these guys go nuts over a case with a window in it at the computer shows. I can only imagine what kind of dough they have :naughty: Anyways go for it!

3. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

Man. Why do I have to be stuck in Denver, Colorado? So far away...
    I like the ModThis.com idea though. I would help out =). I make web pages after all. Well... The graphic portion of it anyway. The code is too tedious a job for me =).

AstrumPreliator
    "Sup"

4. ziptieboy

ziptieboy What's a Dremel?

Somebody else lives in the middle of the US!! Wow, thats amazing. I bet I'm the only one who lives in kansas. WOOHOO

*Sorry for my weirdness*

5. Annon

Annon What's a Dremel?

I live in Oklahoma, let me know if you guys get this started!

6. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

Hows bout a nation wide network of modders under one cause... to profit off of others lack of skills! w00t

7. ::Dawg::

Excellent. Can anyone build a nice website? I am pretty good with graphics and concepts however php, java, raw html programming i am not. Does anyone have a backround in this field?

here is the site logo I just made...

[​IMG]

8. [S]huttle

[S]huttle What's a Dremel?

pretty nice logo however I dont know nothing bout php, java, raw html programming wish I did though

9. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

www.cs-zoo.cjb.net it was a CS clan's website I was amking. They never paid so i was in the processof bug ficing and changing the colors over to blue. Though it can be whatever you need

pizzaeatnmonkey@mchsi.com

10. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Astrum...play games? Notice my location...

11. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

Sweet, Colorado Springs. I visit there every... Blue moon... Errr... Yah, my mom lives down there =). Should do somethin' some time. Like when I actually have a second off to do something =).

Nice graphics. Let me whip something up really quick.

I like the site. I can do the programming end of web pages, I just prefer not to. Kind of one of those 'if I have to' things.

AstrumPreliator
    "Frag Fizzool"

12. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

hmmm already got my own site like that.....whats it called again.....

http://www.performance-pcs.com

well, we dont do what you say.......More like provide you exclusive products :naughty:

Last edited: 1 Oct 2002
  13. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

Ermmm... Can anyone host my poor lil' logo? Geocities doesn't work and all. My clan's website has mysteriously... Disappeared. The guy who made the code for the website banned me as super godlike mega admin, I guess he was super godlike mega da shiznit admin. Then he deleted the site. There goes my picture host, and a good example of my website :grr: . Anyway, yah. E-mail me at bleeding_acid@mindspring.com . I will send you the file then =).

AstrumPreliator
    "Anisotropic filters KICK ASS!"

14. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

Changed my mind. I will deal with Geocities the evil empire of doominess. Open a new browser window and paste this into the address bar.
    http://www.geocities.com/AstrumProelaitor/ModThis.jpg

BTW, I didn't spend too much time on this. Just 1.5 hours. I am pleased with how it came out, but it could have been better =). Firstly, the shadow drop is on a 2d plane of 120 degrees. Not a 3d area. So thats what the shadow stays at a constant and doesnt curve with the sphere and fade on one side. Also, the backdrop grid for the sphere is done wrong. If you can tell it was done by spherizing the middle, then making a donut selection excluding the middle and spherizing that. Overall I thought it would make for a nice edge fade effect, but it just turned out to annoy me whenever I look at it. And the words are nice. But I just couldn't get a good color. I suppose I should have done something more fancy eh? =).

AstrumPreliator
    "GODLIKE!"

Last edited: 1 Oct 2002
  15. BladeRelic

BladeRelic What's a Dremel?

i know i'm late but...

richmond, va right here :)

my and a friend of mine are thinking of starting a computer modding business also.

16. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid What's a Dremel?

must be lonely:lol:

17. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

MidEast

Columbus OH here

18. ::Dawg::

Very nice astrum! excellent start, im sure both of us could clean up our images if we spent more time on them.

Do you guys actually want to do this? any thoughts/suggestions/concerns? If you do wish to join this network of nationwide modders, let me know so I can register the domain and figure out hosting. Another idea to consider is use ebay to help sell items... but anyways if u guys are in we need to get a website set up and i need help doing that. post back here and let me know if yourin or not and what you plan on contributing towards the "nationwide modders network"

19. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I live in S.C. and willing to add any talents/help that you guys may need.

comment: Sounds like some organization is in order. The only thing holding me back from making droves of custom mods and throwing them out on ebay is a lack of capital :grr:. I have been spending all my recent funds on building up a half-way decent workshop.

20. linear

linear Minimodder

Nope. I live in Lenexa.