1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone planning a big vista upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Super_Crazy_Guy, 10 Sep 2006.

1. Super_Crazy_Guy

Super_Crazy_Guy What's a Dremel?

I think im totaly going to upgrade my dell(lol) and put a new micro-atx motherboard with a EE6600 core2 and 2gb of pc2-800 ram, and hopefully a dx10 single slot gfx card.

i have a dell dimension 2400(in has a micro atx mobo but is pci only, with a fx5200 running 20inch widescreen monitor, 1gb of ddr-333 ram, and a celeron 2.4ghz... its the sux)

but i think it would be cool when people see the dell and be like "lol you loser, you told me you had a awesome pc...its a freaking dell!" and then show them the insides and run "dxdiag"

all im worried about is if the back ports of the motherboard will fit with the back of the case(it is a dell)

anyway what are you guys doing?

2. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

The new motherboard should come with the proper back plate and any micro-atx MB should fit. My concern would be with the power supply - some manufacturers use non-standard pinouts to the MB and even if yours doesn't it might not be powerful enough and may lack sata connectors and 24 pin MB connector.

3. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

so buy a new one of them as well then?! :wallbash:

4. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

That depends on what the old one is like. It might be ok but it's something you should check before buying the new MB.

5. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

The old one'll be too weedy, and a proper one probably won't fit... just to warn you Super_Crazy.

ch424

6. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

You can normally fit atx psu's into a dell case - as you can get adapters to sort the pins out if the PSU needs replacing and you do not want to pay Dells extortionate spares prices...

7. Super_Crazy_Guy

i already have a750w thermaltake psu.so im sweetwith regards tothat. overkil i know but it had a fan and is shiney black.

8. customh

customh conflagration.

its also a POS thatll blow up any second you try to load it with 750w, get a decent one like the featured corsiar or a seasonic.

Last edited: 11 Sep 2006
  9. Super_Crazy_Guy

The ThermalTake toughpower psu range is great? im never going to need 750w on my dell motherboard , all i have is a fx5200 and soundcard but the Dell mobo goes completely fine with the 750w psu.
    The new upgrade will only use about 500w max i think and i would rather have plenty of room for upgrade in the future. and hey they come with a new backplate? i didnt know that.

10. customh

customh conflagration.

Ok then, but its been shown that time and time again there is only one thermaltake that is good and its the purepower 500 (i think, correct me if i am wrong) but is the one made bty FSP. All the others blow up, so take your chances or listen to the people on here that know their stuff, not trying to flame, just inform, sorry if i do it in a harsh way. Also, i have been a bad boy and not kept up on opsu's THAT well so if i am totally off base someone let me know.

11. Super_Crazy_Guy

Well all the reviews i have read say that its pretty good, im not going to overclock and ill be damned if i ever NEED 750w, bit-tech needs to review some of these psu's with a couple of 7950gtx's and see if they can get it to load upto 750w because no-one else can.

Also, when you turn i turn my pc on in a cold morning(from wall and then the on button, i just usualy leave the psu power button on), what i beleive to be the heatsync on the fx5200 wers like its grinding on something, its obviously not but whats happening?