1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AOL hit by massive data breach

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 29 Apr 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I've still got an AOL CD from the mid 90s at home.

Not relevant to the story but a fun fact nonetheless.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm certain I've an AOL floppy somewhere around here. Oh, and a Commodore Communications Modem - but that came bundled with Compunet, not AOL or its predecessors. I scanned the leaflet and instructions if anyone's curious.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I had no idea Europe had anything to do with AOL at any point, except the AIM service, which from what I recall most Europeans replaced with ICQ or MSN.

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I had one of those. I remember only being allowed to use it late at night so it wouldn't tie the phone line up, and would cost cheaper :D

Back on topic, part of me has to wonder whether this is the end of the Internet as we know it? With all these recent security scares, and the press they've received, will the great unwashed masses start to move away from the Internet because they're worried about the safety of their date?

6. Gareth Halfacree

AOL was a major UK ISP; its floppies - and later CDs - were a frequent sight in computer shops, and often came attached to magazines. Its UK broadband business was bought by Carphone Warehouse years ago, mind. End of an era!

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I'm very sorry to hear you had to deal with that.

8. mdshann

mdshann What's a Dremel?

They probably didn't bother to break the encryption. They probably just tried to log onto every account with a password of "password" or "123" Remember, these are AOL accounts we're talking about here.

9. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Keep in mind, all this only works because there are people out there who still not only look at spam, but actually buy things advertised in spam.

I still think we should compromise a botnet, send out tons and tons of spam, and anyone who tries the products advertised gets publicly humiliated. Spammers are bad, no question about that, but the people who buy from spam are the real problem.