1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple patents anti-jailbreak system

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

I have long been bemused as to why the iphone is so desirable. This article does nothing to alay that bemusment.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I used to jailbreak iProducts where applicable, just because.

I rapidly ran out of reasons to, it never seemed to add anything I genuinely cared about.

As such, this patent filing doesn't even begin to bother me in the slightest.

4. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Surely if the activity in question is deemed legal by the courts then Apple has no legal grounds on which to include such invasive protections mechanisms?

IMO, it's more likely that apple is planning it's own security and anti-theft system for the iDevices in order to minimise damage done by theft of said devices and facilitate recovery. It's also a great way to combat jailbreaking, because if you decide to do it, you would have to forego the protection of their anti-theft system. Rather than combating jailbreaking directly, they going at it in a more calculated way.

I.e: if you go out of the garden, we won't protect you.

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Last para '..the company will got to in order..'

Tbh, I love the use of the tech there! Taking a geotagged photo of the user and emailing it to Apple, nice one :)

6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

This is why you get android phones...

7. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

This has been done on a similar level on android, through several different apps, except the pics get sent to YOU. I can text my phone to tell it to a whole bunch of random things, many of which the user wouldn't be able to tell it was doing.

Geotagging and sending it to apple is actually something I'd be pretty worried about. Next thing you know they'll have their own iphone recovery team wandering about the world recovering stolen iphones... they already have a police force in their pocket.

8. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Judge "Mr Apple, what are you trying to get me to outlaw?"

Mr Apple "The iPhone users right to download content that wont make me any more money"

Judge "Does the user actually own the iPhone?"

Mr Apple "Yes but we want to control them all damn it!"

Judge "Do you give these iPhones to the users for Free?"

Mr Apple "Hell No! we squeeze as much as possible out of them when they first buy them around £500 and then charge them for every downloaded content through us for what ever we feel like and we make **** loads for it!"

Judge "I see, get the hell out of my court room!"

Some days later.....

Mr Apple "Screw that Judge, let's just f&%k them all anyway! Susan, get me the number for our patent guy and see if he can squeeze a few lines into the current patent hes working on"

dark_avenger likes this.
  9. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Just an other company preparing to sue paying customers for using their hardware in ways it "was not meant to be use" thereby enlarging the companies customer base oh NO!!!

10. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

+1 and Rep for complete trueness

11. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Didn't you know that you didn't buy a physical product when you got that iPhone, but only a license to use it? Silly people...

:)

12. Bob1234

Bob1234 What's a Dremel?

And theres the key to the next step.

To circumvent the issue of jailbreaking the phone will be leased to you, that way you dont own it and therefore cant legally jailbreak it.

When your contract ends, you can either keep it "for a fee" or return it and get a new model.

13. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

I'm not too worried about what they are putting in this pretty fair fetched patent given this is the company that says you have to agree not to use itunes to create weapons of mass destruction in its itunes licence agreement!

Anyway surely taking photos of you without your permission and distributing them back to apple is highly illegal?

14. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

HTC and XDA-Developers. Is all I have to say today :)

If I would buy a Iphone of the secondhand market. Does the license still holds? If I then jailbreak or place my own sim into it. Will the Original own get a lawsuit?

15. ryall

ryall What's a Dremel?

Apple, Oracle, Google.... You know times are pretty f**ked up when Microsoft starts looking like the good guys.

16. Bob1234

Bob1234 What's a Dremel?

Depends, by accepting the contact, and terms of use, you would be giving them permission.

Depends on the original licensing terms, if it says "you may not resell or otherwise give to a 3rd party" the terms have already been broken, so chances are they would shut down your phone for you.

All comes down to the enforceability of EULAs or other contract terms.

17. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

IANAL, but last time I checked the idea was that you owned the hardware but were merely licensed to use the software that's on it. If you could completely wipe the software before agreeing to it's terms and conditions you could quite happily replace it with whatever legally developed alternative you like.

Legally developed alternative... oh wait...

18. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

how many viruses and malware do you think would be developed for the iPhone if the OS wasn't a closed system? Just a thought......

And their probably going to increase now due to this new law in the US.

19. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

About as many as any other os mobile platform, aka: not many :) (and none that cant be stopped through you know, intelligence)

20. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

And that's one of the reasons why, if I owned an iPhone, I'd jailbreak it anyway out of principle. As for the whole licencing thing, surely jailbreaking is only the same as the software being 'corrupted' by other means?

Tags: Add Tags