1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple to allow iPhone multitasking?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Feb 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

are they trying competing with Palm Pre? but then, it's a rumour, so i won't trust it.

in the mean time, if you want multi-tasking, just Jailbreak your iPhone and download use Cydia to get "Background". it's a neat code insertion app that allows all other app to go into suspend mode (when you sleep your phone while the app is running) by pressing Home button for 3 seconds.

i want Palringo (IM app), Last.fm, mBoxMail (Hotmail thing that works just like normal mail app, without paying Hotmail), AutoWiFi (so don't have to launch it every time i go to a hotspot) and iMob Online to be able to run in the background.

i don't think iPhone has that much memory though. SBsettings is a toggle and launcher built into the status bar, it can be pulled down by swiping the status bar. this shows free memory of only 20MB when ipod is opened. so where are all the opened app going to fit??

3. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

S60 devices can do real multitasking and they have 128MB too... then again, they only have half the display resolution.

4. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

On that note, all Windows Mobile devices can too, usually have more than 128MB RAM and some have double or more the resolution.

How much RAM does the iPod have then? I thought that they were reasonably powerful, with the current gen Touch being the most powerful, though I don't know where I got that idea from.

edit: iPhones have 412MHz ARM 11 processors with 128MB RAM, iPod touch first gen has 400MHz, second has 533MHz and both have 128MB RAM.
    The N95 has 128MB RAM - in all versions other than the original one - with either a dual core or two (Wikipedia isn't clear) 332MHz ARM 11 processor
    The N96 has dual 264MHz ARM 9 processors with 128MB RAM of which 90MB is free after the operating system is using it.
    A Windows Mobile phone, the HTC Touch Pro, has a 528MHz ARM processor and 288MB RAM (I reckon that the OS uses about 100MB of this)
    there we go.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2009
  5. wyx087

to realise multi-tasking, Apple needs to decrease the OS footprint. maximum free memory is only around 40MB, and with iPod open in the background, it goes down to 20MB, out of 128MB!

6. quack

quack Minimodder

It'd be nice if just Gmail had push.

7. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Not sure if you're aware, but hotmail opened free pop3 access to all accounts a few weeks ago.

8. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Shouldn't they be adding MMS support before getting the apps that they have already running in the background...

9. wyx087

oh? no, i didn't know. i already spent money on that MBox App. damn it

10. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

You do need SSL for the incoming and TLS/SSL for outgoing - not sure whether you can do that on the iPhone.

Settings:
    POP server: pop3.live.com (Port 995)
    POP SSL required? Yes
    User name: Your Windows Live ID, for example yourname@hotmail.com
    Password: The password you usually use to sign in to Hotmail or Windows Live
    SMTP server: smtp.live.com (Port 25)
    Authentication required? Yes (this matches your POP username and password)
    TLS/SSL required? Yes

11. puggsly

puggsly What's a Dremel?

Seems more likely that Apple will just get the push component up and give access to those tasks they want to allow to run in the background. This gives them better over all control of the user experience. So, you may never be able to run XYZ audio stream in the background but you will be able to tell the Apple background audio task (ipod) to play content streamed from XYZ.

Apple is about user experience and protecting users from themselves.

Tags: Add Tags