1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple updates Boot Camp again

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 16 Aug 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. 3.5SE

3.5SE What's a Dremel?

What do they mean by "Support for the newly released Macs with Core Duo processors". Did they not support the Core Duo's in earlier versions of bootcamp? I've had windows installed on my 2.0 GHz Core Duo Macbook and it does seem slower than everyone else has been claiming on the net. My AMD X2 3800+ desktop seems faster. Both have 2GB of ram. The Macbook seems to take a significant hit when not plugged in. When it's plugged in it doesn't seem too bad but not as fast as I expected. Also when streaming a DVD across my G network when plugged in the movie plays fine, when not plugged in it gets all jumpy. Hoping this bootcamp helps a little. The addition of ISight support is great.

3. rgkgraphix

rgkgraphix What's a Dremel?

probably refereing to the new Woodcrest's on the MacPro.

4. Blake

Blake What's a Dremel?

Just out of curiosity, does bootcamp allow it to run any version of XP? As I wouldn't mind getting Media Centre installed so I can stream videos to my 360 off it.

5. 3.5SE

3.5SE What's a Dremel?

Blake - while not officially supported I believe you can install media center on the mac. You'll have to slipstream a copy to one DVD but it should work. How well it works I can't say but I've seen one or two mentions on the web of people installing MCE on their Macs.

6. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

MCE works.

I installed MCE on a friend's Macbook. My version of MCE came in 2 discs, and because during Windows install, the drivers are off, like for the eject key, and for the sake of elegance (and stupidity), Apple omitted the eject button, or even eject hole, which means that swapping discs during installation was impossible.

I remedied that buy amalgamating both discs into one DVD. Installs perfectly.

I haven't tried the MCE functions yet, but it installs. Apparently, there are no drivers for the remote yet (or so I think), so don't count on using it for MCE. But with the lack of pretty much all the MCE function buttons, you're not going to be doing much with Apple's remote, save for play/pause and rewind/forward - if anybody ever gets it to work.

7. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Just updated the drivers on my installtion and it all works now. There's even a little app that checks the time/date I noticed trying to get through my firewall.

8. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I guess it is still beta but at the moment it seems like a bit of a hack job to me. If it was a true dual boot system I can't see why I would need to combine the install disks.

However, if they get it past beta and remove the time limit ("Warning: Boot Camp Beta is preview software licensed for use on a trial basis for a limited time") I could see myself buying an iMac (monitor, keyboard, & mouse, no case - I love the simplicity).

9. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

The need to combine the two mce install disks has nothing to do with bootcamp its down to the fact macs don't have a traditional eject button. So you can't eject the disc. Thats the only thing stopping it.

They won't get it out of beta ever, it will be kept as is pretty much until leopard where it will probably be included as a virtual pc type system not dual boot.

I wouldn't let the fact its a beta hold you back, there have been only a handleful of problems reported on it despite 1000's installing it. I have to be honest I barely use the windows install on mine, but it comes in useful from time to time. Its nice knowing its there if I need it.

10. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Thanks for the explanation (I knew that about Macs but forgot :duh: ).

Now I'm thinking that unless I open the case & mod the drive I'd never be happy with a Mac running Windows on it. :sigh:

Tags: Add Tags