1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple updates iPod range, releases iTunes 8

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Sep 2008.

1. kempez

kempez modding again!

Yep that's what I meant, works well. I've done it on several PC's and on several Apple devices, all you need is the Apple ID you bought the music with

2. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

OK. there is a convoluted way to get music back in some form..

But lets also keep in mind the person who's not computer smart and doesn't have geeky friends

This person goes to their Best Buy, gets a nice laptop and a shiny new Ipod. A few months goes by, this person buys a few albums from Itunes. This person also doesnt know about the whole backup system in case disaster strikes, some how that laptop's hdd is ruined. Now what?

*Really, how many people actually backup their collection on a regular basis, chances are even if you do, you dont do it for every purchase so there is still a high chance you will loose some new music if you have a failure*
    *I am aware Itunes allows a redownload of music ONCE but the download was incomplete when I did it, not all the music was there, and I was warned it could happen. That was my first experience with a loss with Itunes. It happened because I forgot my windows based folders when I did a reformat, now I make a special directory for Itunes to place its music files in thats not in the my documents folder. **Vista wont let you in there if you try to access from a different computer with that HDD, thats the main reason for me doing it now** I don't do a backup I just copy the music to multiple computers*

Back to our poor soul..

So what now? As long as they have that ipod they can keep playing their music?

Lets rewind a little, instead of an Ipod purchase this person gets an open style product and uses either CD's or a service that has DRM free .mp3's

laptop fails, no problem, once its up and running again, just hook up the mp3 player and copy the music back to the laptop's hdd and enjoy.

Most players, like my walkman sync right up with WMP, altho that is defintly not my first choice for managing my music.. But for the not so savy it will get the job done, and in some ways superior to Itunes.

I think my point is fairly clear, Itunes/Ipod can.... will cause grief for its customers should something happen.

3. kempez

kempez modding again!

But that's all you need to do, copy the iPod's files onto the 'laptop' (to use your example) and import them into iTunes. Not very hard??

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

let me get this straight: you hate iPod because iTune doesn't allow you to copy music out of the device??

by your logic of ownership, you must also hate online activation put on games and the problem of not able to legally rip DVD's.

there's also this problem of items, if you've bought an item such as a great foreign medicine, you must be able to take it anywhere around the world because you own it. even though the law of some country say that specific medicine is banned. because you own the item, and the law (aka. digital right) doesn't apply to you?

we all hate DRM, but you just got to live with it.

5. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

Ok, I'm going to try it when my sister gets home, see how well this works..

Tags: Add Tags