1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are these PC components compatible with each other?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maniac618, 13 Jun 2006.

1. Maniac618

Maniac618 What's a Dremel?

Anyone know if these components will work in harmony? Any help would be appreciated very much.

EDIT:

My dad is now saying he "doesn't want any fuss" and is now saying he wants a Dell pre-made computer.

Anyone think I should really try and make him get a custom job, or just allow him?

Will he get really ripped off by Dell for a pre-made machine these days? We've had 2 Dells before and they've been good.

Thoughts, and actual model from their site if you can be bothered to check that would be good enough for photo editing?

Last edited: 16 Jun 2006
  2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

No, the motherboard you picked out has a PCI-E slot while your graphics card has an AGP slot. You'll need to upgrade your graphics card to a PCI-E model.

The X1600 or 7600GT is a pretty good upgrade for a little over £100.

3. Maniac618

So AGPs cant go in that motherboard at all? ahwell, was hoping there was like an agp backup that it doesn't want to mention.

Damn, ok then, I just need a simple card as the PC will be used for photo editing (2d stuff).

4. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

If you want simple, then an ATi X1300 will probabily cut it. Maybe even something lower (like an X300 or X600).

You can buy boards that have both PCI-E and AGP though.

5. Maniac618

any recommendations? It'll need to work with processor bear in mind.

6. DoR

DoR What's a Dremel?

As ramble said, something like an x1300 should do just fine although they are a little more expensive than your 9600 you originally selected. In which case if you don't wonna pay that much, get yourself an x550 or something and that will sufice, although wont cater as well to gaming, even if its just occasional.

7. Maniac618

thanks.

8. Maniac618

My dad is now saying he "doesn't want any fuss" and is now saying he wants a Dell pre-made computer.

Anyone think I should really try and make him get a custom job, or just allow him?

Will he get really ripped off by Dell for a pre-made machine these days? We've had 2 Dells before and they've been good.

Thoughts, and actual model from their site if you can be bothered to check that would be good enough for photo editing?

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Just let him do it, it'll save you hassle and you can get cheap ass Dell systems for £300 now.

10. Maniac618

just been looking and you don't get much for the £300 though :sigh:

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nope, but what do you expect?

12. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

a cup of tea with my crumpets...

hehe

in all seriousness though, depending on experience of user etc, sometimes a premade machine from dell is the best route to go... i mean think, if you built it for him, he'd expect you to help him with every little thing that went wrong... if he buys a dell, you can tell him to ring up their customer service every time and spare yourself some trouble

13. TheColdLord

TheColdLord What's a Dremel?

Well both sides of the camp are right: Buying a premade dell is an option and if you need it for 2 d stuff then it certanly dosn't need to be perfomer. 300$ is kinda enough.
    On the other hand you could buy\upgrade your pc, and I also recomend the x1300, either that or a 7300. I think both have agp suport...if not there is always the x1600 but I don't know if its worth it seeing the line of work you need it for.