1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Are you 'happy' with your PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SuperHans123, 14 Dec 2023.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Happy with mine, does the job plenty well enough. R7 5800X is more CPU than I really need and, the GTX 1070ti does a good job at 1440p, especially as I don't play the kind of games where hair trigger responses are needed. Everything works as it should, it's cool but not noisy and there is no sign of any impending failure. Can't see me upgrading anything before 2025.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  2. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I generally don't upgrade unless I have a reason to anymore.

I either build a maxed out rig and then use it for way longer than I should, or I buy a decent rig with a nice foundation and then wait a few years and then max it out with used stuff and then use *that* rig until it dies.

Lately, I have too many rigs and they're all outdated and I don't have money for new anything because the economy has been **** and I just can't bring myself to spend as much on a GPU as the current market apparently accepts.

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

5700X with a GTX1080, haven't touched it for months

Ever since the whole stoopid pricing craziness coupled with real life shenanigans I've found myself just gaming on the PS4 on my sofa.

Now I've got a PS5 Slim I can't see that changing until next year. Any internet stuff is on my phone or laptop pretty much most of the time.

Then I need a card for Cyberpunk and Starfield on 1440p with as many trimmings as it can muster - those will definitely be on pc for me.

Maybe it'll change this year, fingers crossed another move will be happening and perhaps a new room setup will spur me on to use it more.

Am I happy with my pc? Haven't really though about it much recently TBH.

d_stilgar likes this.
  4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yes. Been running the same X99 foundation since 2017 and have no desire to change, even with poor M.2 compatibility (learned the hard way that NVMe drives won't work on my mobo). The only upgrade I'm likely to make is to drop in a cheap Xeon that represents a good upgrade from the 6C/12T 5820K. But it honesty, it's not really necessary.

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'm running a 2400G with 16GB of RAM and a 5700XT and driving a 1440p 144hz panel (TN...). A little more oomph would be nice, graphics do tend to dip below 60fps. But for the amount I've been gaming? It's very hard to justify. Even MrsYuu gets more gaming time out of her PC than I do mine.

6. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I think if you are above 40 FPS, you are fine.
    As far as I experience, 40 and above, no lag

Last edited: 18 Dec 2023
  7. Mr_Mistoffelees

I have a 60Hz monitor, so I use vsync to prevent tearing. GTX1070ti keeps Elder Scrolls Online @1440p, over 60fps at all times, with all graphics settings at the max. One of the upsides of MMORPGs is that they tend to be less demanding of GPUs and, the only ones I play are getting on a bit.

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Also, anyone that thinks the government would be run better by AI has never tried Windows hardware troubleshooter. -I mean, I know it never works, but you want to try everything before a full re-install.
    problem: My audio ports are deleted. Answer: "I didn't detect any audio devices."

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

AI may be having more influence on government already, than we are being told about. Sunak's stock answers at the covid enquiry, were basically, "I don't know" or "I don't recall". I think he needs to be uninstalled...

Cheapskate likes this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Very. I got some killer deals on GPUs and all three do exactly what I want them to do, when I want them to do it.

d_stilgar likes this.
  11. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

3950X and GTX 1080 should still keep me going for a good while yet. The only thing making me tempted to upgrade is to play around with LLMs so a GPU with lots of memory would be ideal. Otherwise no need to do anything. More interested in homelab stuff currently.

12. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

soso having a few issues with malfuctioning temp sensors and now have the itch to upgrade to the new bank of CPUs and get on the DDR5 bandwagon but apart from that it runs ok :).

13. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Happy enough that haven't really done many upgrades over the past couple of years other than upgrading to a 3060 from my 1080 so I could then pass that down to the media pc to upgrade its 1060, although sald I think really that pc wants a bigger upgrade as it still struggles with Jedi Survivor I got at Christmas!

In general I do want to upgrade both with M2 SSDs to replace smaller sata3 ssds they both currently have so hopefully that'll happen this year!

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

My gaming PC, yes, mostly. (R7 5800x air cooled and 2080 Ti in AIO water, 1440p ultrawide IPS)
    I'm happy with the setup and very satisfied with the quietness I've achieved in combination with the only maintenance required is to clear the dust filter.

Same as OP, I've no desire to upgrade aesthetically or technically..... for the PC itself. Since ~2015, I no longer chase the latest and greatest. I just buy fast-enough that might last the longest.

HOWEVER, the latest batch of 32inch 4K OLED HDR monitor are mighty tempting. In combination with a new GPU when new gen are released.

Work laptop, on the other hand, would need logarithmic scale for unhappiness for its lack of responsiveness and the amount of junk I'm not allowed to remove.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Going from a quad-ish-core Athlon to a Ryzen 2700X was a big upgrade that's saved me hours of time, but I can't deny I fancy something with more cores. Harder to justify this time around, though: taking a common image editing process from four minutes to one minute is a big win, but going from one minute to 30 seconds is less impressive.

16. Mr_Mistoffelees

I went from a 2700 (not X) to a 5800X, was a substantial improvement and, about £185 on Amazon today.

IanW and Gareth Halfacree like this.