1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Aria are lying ********

Discussion in 'General' started by noizdaemon666, 29 Nov 2011.

1. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I sent a motherboard back to them months ago for repair. I got it back and it failed again in under 1 hour.

For the past 6 months I've been trying to get another RMA out of them, without any success up until last week.

So I boxed it up and sent it to them on Friday. Got an email today saying it has been rejected due to there being bent CPU pins and thermal paste in the socket.

Well it certainly wasn't like that when it left my house, and I'm not sure a postie would have opened it up, bent some pins and got some thermal paste in the socket. To say I'm livid is a massive understatement.

I personally think they're just making excuses as they don't want to help.

After all this time, one of their incomptent techies seems to have gone and f***ed it up so he doesn't have to mess about sending it to Gigabyte.

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Check out the thread in my signature, there might be something in the article that can help you.

3. noizdaemon666

Cheers Blogins but I don't think there's a way round it. My word against theirs now as well. I don't know if I can be othered paying £15-£20 to get it shipped back to me, given it's only worth about £40 when working.

4. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

there's a simple way round it actually - 'your word against theirs' is covered under the sales of good act.

The sales of good act essentially says:

If a product develops a fault within the first 6 months after purchase then the burden of proof is on the retailer. If a product develops a fault after the intial 6 moths then the burden of proof is on the consumer.

In practical terms this means if something breaks within 6 months either the retail has to fix it, or prove that your responsible for the fault. After 6 months you have to prove that they are responsible for the fault (which is of course much harder).

I got a bath-panel replaced last week using this - I'd had it in wrapping for 3 months while I re-did our bathroom, unpacked it and it had a crack on the join. They initially refused to replace as it was outside of the return period and they said it was checked before shipping and had no cracks. I used the above to argue (in short) that they either had to prove that I broke it, or replace it - long story short a new bath panel arrived for free a-few days later :)

Taken from the department for Business Innovation and skills:

Q13. What does the "reversed burden of proof" mean for the consumer?

It means that for the first six months the consumer need not produce any evidence that a product was inherently faulty at the time of sale. If a consumer is seeking any other remedy the burden of proof remains with him/her.

In such a case, the retailer will either accept there was an inherent fault, and will offer a remedy, or he will dispute that it was inherently flawed. If the latter, when he inspects the product to analyse the cause, he may, for example, point out impact damage or stains that would be consistent with it having been mistreated in such a way as to bring about the fault.

This reversal of the usual burden of proof only applies when the consumer is seeking a repair or replacement. After the first six months the onus of proof is again on the consumer.

If you've had the mobo less than 6months then use this and if necessary threaten them with small claims court under this principle.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2011
    noizdaemon666 likes this.
  5. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

The bent pin thing seems to be used as a get out clause for a lot of etailer motherboard rma's... i've heard of quite a few people getting rma's rejected for this .... when i sent a boad back to scan earlier this year i took a quick picture of the socket before i shipped the board...

6. noizdaemon666

Yeah, I should have photographed it, but I was in a rush :sigh: And cheers for that MiNiMaL_FuSS, but I've had it over a year (working for 6 months though) so I'd have to prove it was them, which would be nigh on impossible.

7. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Hmmm sucks. Although one thing we can all learn from this is to take photos of the motherboard socket before sending it off :(

8. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

might be worth kicking up a stink on the aria forum - aria are one of the few etailers that actually care what people say about them as they have a strong community.

There's plenty of folk here that also frequent aria.

9. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

i'm one who used to frequent Aria. Too many times they never honoured their dispatch time promises, and too many times they never responded to my queries on why my next day deliveries ordered at 11am the day before never come next day. Too many of my clients got hacked off. Now I go to ebuyer and scan. Aria used to be amazing but they went down the pan a couple of years ago IMO.

10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I havent shopped at aria since the first time I shopped at aria as what they sent me was a piece of gosu.

Online etailers should learn that for people who shop on the internet, if we feel we have been treated unfairly, all that happens is they lose our business forever, and with the amount of forums and the spreading of information, one lost customer can translate to more than one.

11. spazmochad

spazmochad Minimodder

They did the same thing to me with a Radeon AIW a few years back. Haven't used them since.

Tags: