1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ARM CEO Warren East to retire in July

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 19 Mar 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

9 Billion chips sold under his wing - no wonder he is retiring, on a high and probably a very nice share/pension pot to go with it.
    Thanks to him we all enjoy some of the better phones on offer which is now in strong competition with larger firms [intel].

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Arm has a nice licence deal that goes around and thats alot of there cash.

But the companies are starting to develop faster than Arm has been able to keep up at the moment.

Both Samsung and Apple have switched to custom chips using there Arm licence, Qualcom have bit into there market as well. And now intel is making its play.

There next gen mobile GPU is now late and has lost critical early potential sales including the new SG4. ( even at a poor estimate it will sell 50million units)

All in all it will be a tough ask for him to provide the same level of growth as was seen before. If anything he will be lucky to hold on to current market share.

As there is alot of Companies fighting to get into the top 2 phones at the moment both of whom seem quiet content to do it there own way.

If a 3rd major player can come into the tablet / phone market and make those sales then they are in business i guess.

There major growth for me can be done on servers if they can get close to the performance per dollar that intel offers they could take alot of there business and thats a much better profit area than mobile will ever be.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

All Samsung, Apple (actually Samsung again) and Qualcomm processors are based on ARM cores; ARM receives a license payment for every single processor any of those companies sell. The more Exynos 5 Octa, A6, and Snapdragon chips its licensees sell, the more money ARM makes.

Sure, if the companies opted for a complete off-the-shelf ARM IP, those licensing fees would be higher - but ARM is happy for companies to make billions of 'custom' ARM chips and pay the lesser licensing fee, 'cos that still adds up to a whole mess of money.

6. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Yes, Qualcomm and Apple are in the same position as AMD - they design their own CPU cores but still pay license fees to ARM for the instruction set architecture. Also, Samsung have an SoC called Exynos, but it currently uses ARM's Cortex CPU cores (A7+A15 in the Octa). At this stage, only Qualcomm with Krait and Apple with Swift have custom ARM cores, with Nvidia joining that elite club later on with Denver.

Also, I'll be starting work at ARM (summer internship) just before he retires...

7. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

I hate you. Ahem, I mean, I envy you.

And Gareth is dead on, Rollo - ARM's making money on damn near every mobile device in existence. Intel being competitive is still a ways off and no sure thing.

Unless there's a minor miracle afoot, ARM will be making money hand over fist over hand over fist for a long time to come.

Tags: Add Tags