1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ARM details Cortex A15 chip

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by julieb, 9 Sep 2010.

1. julieb

julieb New Member

2. TomH

TomH And like that... he was gone.

I'm glad to see ARM taking this step forward. This can only lead to good things - namely, more competition and more processing cores per rack (important, when you're Facebook et al).

64-bit will come in time. This sounds like it'll be a great first-generation product.

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I think they'll fail simply because it's not 64-bit. If they're aiming for the big guns, then 64-bit is a must. Larger companies will see this and not buy it because of it (I know our company won't recommend it to people we consult for), and then ARM will not make a 64-bit because their first didn't sell well.

I hope I'm wrong, I truly do, but I feel I might be on the right track.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I dunno - I mean, I can see the argument, but the people buying an ARM-based server have already made a concious effort to move away from x86. A move from 64-bit x86 to 32-bit ARM with LPAE is not likely to be much more complicated than a move from 64-bit x86 to 64-bit ARM (if such a thing existed.)

5. iwod

iwod New Member

I dont see why you would need 64bit on servers apart from Memory requirement. In terms of TCO, i actually think ARM is well fitted for Server Operation.

Tags: Add Tags