1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ARM/x86 hybrid PC announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Sep 2010.

1. Cogwulf

Cogwulf What's a Dremel?

I'm mainly talking about background tasks that are already so small that the OS can distribute them between cores anyway, tasks that are too small to gain any performance increase from splitting them between cores.

Even with power saving features like underclocking and disabling unused cores, the processors are still hugely overpowered for many of the tasks running on a PC. When my computer is completely idle, the CPU usage is still hovering around about 1-4%, split across a number of different processes in the task manager, and that's with the CPU working at 2Ghz in its power saving mode.
    What I'm talking about is off-loading all those processes using just a fraction of the CPU to a low-power processor which will then allow the x86 CPU to be disabled completely.

2. Cogwulf

Cogwulf What's a Dremel?

Although, writing code to work on both x86 and ARM would be a nightmare.
    But if intel developed a CPU with a separate atom processor integrated onto the same die, it would provide the same sort of power saving but with only a bit of extra code required in the OS to decide what work to allocate to the atom

3. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Because the Intel CPU uses too much power when it actually does workloads. I'm talking about a low power state where you can't use the CPU much. It only idles or might be entirely shut off if that is possible without making it slow to turn it back on. I am only speculating here since I don't know what CUPP is actually capable of. You can't use the CPU until you alt-tab back into whatever OS runs on the Intel. Arm is used because it uses very little power for normal workloads.

Mainly Microsoft Office and other software like it in size and complexity. Huge apps doesn't mean apps that require boatloads of processing power.

Sorry but no. Guess you look too hard for trolls so you see them everywhere. even when they aren't.

Yes but that would be similar to CUDA, OpenGL and DirectCompute shaders today. But from what I read in the article it doesn't seem like the ARM chip in this one is a co-processor like the GPU. Time will tell.

Tags: Add Tags