1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Ashes of the singularity - review

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Harlequin, 1 Apr 2016.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

2. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Wonder why it needs so much power when it looks like a game of toy soldiers?

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Because you can have literally thousands and thousands of units on the battlefield.

I've been playing this extensively for the last couple of weeks - some of the early reviews seem a bit overly positive (two 9/10s so far!) - it feels like Elite really, in the sense that it is a technical marvel, but needs a little more dev time and fleshing out to be a truly great game.

At the moment I'd say its a solid 7/10 - but there's a potentially 8 or even 9 out of 10 in there if development is kept up at the current pace for another year.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

I would say 7/10 is very generous. The single player campaign feels very tact on and is not worth the paper its written on. The AI battles are like stardock always fun but maps are too small. For a stardock game no huge maps is a big miss for them.

Online is where the game is at, but the 2 sides are boring? maybe the harsh word to say. They are very similar lets just say. One gets a shield one gets slightly more armor. The more armor one lasts longer in battle by a smidgen the shield one has slightly faster units.

The biggest units the dreds are more stationary platforms than actual units you use. They take ages to get to a location even on the smallest map its a good 10-15mins from 1 side to the next this gets worse on the biggest maps.

To use them in battle you have to plan where your going to have a fight, Sounds simple enough but in reality its anything but. If the enemy decides to have a battle elsewhere you have 2 armies moving really slowly doing very little if any action. Feels very chess like you move your key pieces into play then do battle.

Controlling them is also difficult as they do not use abilities by default similar to Starcraft 2 there is alot of hidden keyboard commands.

If thats your thing great, It will not suit everyone.

The game will get good mod support if Stardocks history is anything to go by and maybe some of the issues can be corrected for playing with friends.

I have enjoyed it so far but it does have its issues. I would say its launched too quickly the dev log is testiment to this.

I would also say about the graphics they look awesome on my now very old system it runs flawlessly at 1080p on what it defaulted to high. Not tested the ingame benchmark never really use such things.

5. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Your score does not reflect you review.
    It sounds bloody awful.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

ofc the game is not like starcraft - SC2 is a tactical RTS whereas this is a strategic RTS - you should be looking at more like planetary annihilation.

rollo just described every strategic RTC game ever - biggest units are always the slowest.

its a great and fun RTS

7. Parge

To be honest, it would probably not be a 7/10 if we had a steady stream of top quality RTS games rolling out left right and centre - but the fact is, we don't and compared to its breathen, I'm happy to award it 7/10.

8. Parge

Anyone want a game tonight? I've made a channel on the BT Teamspeak.

9. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

think i might pick this up on payday looks rather good. If my PC is fixed that is.

10. Parge

I'll be back on this today if anyone wants to join.

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

12. Parge

I've been playing with the map maker a lot this week and after lots of testing and bug fixes, I have created two new maps for you to try out here!

First up is Pyrrhic Victory. This is a medium sized 2v2 map, though can be played 1v1. The defining feature is a large diagonal mountain range across the centre of the map, in the middle of which is a cut through. There are two key strategic points of note on this map - a Turinium generator in the top right hand corner and a metal rich relay in the bottom left hand corner. Choose your path to victory, or take a risk by splitting your forces.

[​IMG]

The second map is Vitriol. This is a smaller 2v2 map but again, can be played 1v1. It is set around a small series of lanes, separated by basins and mountains. The first capture points you come across are light on resources, and the richer, but riskier capture points are in the centre of the map, along with a single Turinium generator. Some good opportunities for flanking here too.

[​IMG]

Within the overviews, blue hexagons are relays, around them yellow pentagons are metal, while orange are radioactive. The light blue heptagon denotes a Turinium generator. The round yellow circles are seeds. The white heptagons can be ignored, they are just to assist with relay lane creation.

Things to note:
    If you want to start next to each other, choose positions 1 and 4 or 2 and 3.
    The AI may or may not function correctly on these maps.

To Install these maps, simply close the game, then unzip the folders and place them in your Ashes 'maps' folder (mine is steam/steamapps/common/ashes of the singularity/assets/maps. Then fire up the game and they will appear.

[Vitriol Download Link]

[Pyrrhic Victory Download Link]

Constructive criticism and feedback welcome.

NOW GO FORTH AND BRING YOUR ENEMY TO THEIR KNEES! INCINERATE THEM WITH WAVES OF BURNING PLASMA, WIPE THEM FROM EXISTENCE...... and enjoy yourself.

13. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

was playing it a mates house the other night ,he was pretty busy with work stuff and saw it on his pc so gave it a whirl. Skipped the tutorial and jumped straight into a skirmish.

I wouldn't say it was straight forward. Ive been playing starcraft 2 alot lately. I felt it was quite un - organised and most importantly. SUPER SLOOOOW. I like a faster paced game.

Not a massively bad game ... but not quick enough for me... required 2 much thinking power lol