1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASUS A7M266-D Overclocking and JumperFree Mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by koos34, 6 Jun 2002.

1. koos34

koos34 What's a Dremel?

I have an ASUS A7M266-D motherboard with dual Athlon MP 1800+ processors, retail HSF but with dual CoolerMaster Heatpipe HSF's on the way. I have 1gb of PC2700 DDR-SDRAM, Visiontek GeForce4 Ti4600, 120gb wd harddrive, and enermax 350w whisper ps. I have flashed my BIOS to the newest revision (1006) written 2 weeks ago and STILL when i switch to jumperfree mode my system wont even post. I have all 4 PO_VID jumpers in the 3-4 position as stated in the manual. I have even cleared the CMOS several times.The monitor just sits there and freakin blinks cause its not getting a signal (no its not a video card problem). Does ANYONE know how to fix this? I am ready to overclock! Thanks

2. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

1 dont oc it till u find the prob 2 u might of crushed the core 3 prolly the heat sink isnt the right 1 for the cpu

there can be many probs and ill tell u how to fix it

pull every thing out and start it with only cpu ram video and then tell us if it boots

3. koos34

koos34 What's a Dremel?

no i dont think u understand. if it is in jumper mode it boots fine, both CPU's work. if i SWITCH to jumperfree mode is when i dont get a post screen. i know the CPU's , ram and video are intact because they work in jumper mode

4. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

dont put it on jumper mode prob fixed

5. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

koos i have the same motherboard..when you go into jumperfree you have to make sure what pci cards go into the 64/66 slots. Lots of cards are keyed for 3.3v and 5v but are not true 3.3v. Try removing the cards that are on the 64/66 slots and try jumperfree again..

Oh and welcome to the forums! :D

6. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

I had EXACTLY this problem with my brother's A7V.

Then one day, when trying to go into jumper-free mode (which I NEVER had working), the board died. Good Riddance.

Overclocking a dual-cpu motherboard is not an easy thing to achieve. Certainly stability is likely to suffer very quickly. I wouldn't bother.

7. koos34

koos34 What's a Dremel?

scopedog: what you suggested fixed it! thank you VERY much.

8. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

no problem koos..just curious, what cards were you trying on those 64/66 slots? Now that motherboards with these pci slots are available to the general public (without being a $10k server :)) we are finding out that alot of so called 3.3v keyed cards are not true. Just in case i have a compaq 3131 nic and adaptec 29160 in those slots and they work as advertised..

9. koos34

koos34 What's a Dremel?

Well I tried the bundled USB 2.0 card and a soundblaster live value in them and neither worked. Didnt try my NIC though, figured it wouldnt work cause its only a cheap $15 linksys. Didnt try modem either cause its old. Right now they both 64/66 slots unused. as soon as i get my heatpipes in im gonna oc em hopefully to 1.65 ghz. we'll see!

10. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Oh ok...i've tried many cards in those slots..i was only able to get those 2 cards working (nic and scsi), a netgear nic (forgot which one), and one version of the promise fasttrack tx2 (i think its the newest revision, but i'm not sure). So its a bit tough finding one that will work. Good luck with the board!