1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASUS P5E - No VGA detected

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by mike_beef, 15 Dec 2007.

1. mike_beef

mike_beef What's a Dremel?

i've just built a new system and the VGA will only work on the second PCI-e slot. while this is ok, if and when i want to upgrade to crossfire wouldnt that cause a problem? i have tried clearing CMOS and that doesnt work. when the VGA card was in the first slot it was simply not detected.

New Rig:

ASUS P5E X38
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
    Asus 8800GT
    GEIL PC2 6400 2Gb
    WD Raptor X 150Gb

im also using a slightly older SoundBlaster Audigy 2 sound card.

any help would be awesome!

also i have not installed the operating system, and it will POST when the card is in the second PCI-e slot

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

it should work in the first slot. i would try seating it in the first slot again, and if it doesn't work then rma the board and get it replaced.

3. mike_beef

ok so i've treid it in the first port again and it still doesnt work, is the board really faulty or does the BIOS just need updating? its not the latest one

4. blu

blu What's a Dremel?

sounds like the board is faulty. and just too let you know you cant do crossfire. crossfire is a amd/ati technology that uses multi gpus. for your card which is nvidia it would be sli and sry to disappoint you but your mobo wont run sli only crossfire. intel chipsets cant run sli only nvidia chipsets will.

5. mike_beef

ok thx blu, i didnt know that you could only run nvidia vga chips with other nvidia vga chips! its not like i didnt think that when i want to go crossfire i might just need to get 2 ati vga cards. by the way this motherboard might just support crossfire with X38 northbridge and 2x PCI-e 16x if i buy 2 ATI 3870's in the new year!

ps. sorry 4 sarcasm moderators, i'm just a bit pissed and annoyed i might have to get rma with this mobo!

Last edited: 16 Dec 2007
  6. blu

blu What's a Dremel?

the x38 chip supports crossfire. you can use an nvidia card with the motherboard you just wont be able to use 2 cards in sli on that chipset.

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

A little off topic, but otherwise, how would you rate the board?

I've just got one, and would like to know what you think of it!

8. mike_beef

its a good board, although ive only just got the system up and running so havent managed to get in to overclocking with it yet.

9. mike_beef

yeah thats cool, the first post in this thread was a little unclear.

10. mark-x

mark-x What's a Dremel?

i have p5q3 deluxe,i have nvidia geforce fx 8800 gts pci express.
    so 4/10 times that i start my pc, 1 continious beep and then 3 smaller beeps sound.as i read to the manual..this means that "NO VGA DETECTED"..so what vga?i have pci express..not vga.after that i must hold down the power button for some secs in order to shut down,and then when i power the pc on again then the problem solved..but this is happening all the time.i have updated my bios to the latest version.i also loaded setup defaults settings..nothing..is a problem of the motherboard?or of the graphic card?