1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus P5K3 Deluxe WiFi AP with DDR3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 24 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

On the second page, you made a mistake.

"Supports up to Supports up to 8GB of dual channel DDR3 800, 1066 and 1333MHz FSB, using four 240-pin, 1.5V DDR3 DIMMs;"

:D

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

should that be of?

Also, with the slightly tighter timings on the RAM would it be possible to request a re-run of the Photo test? To see what kind of a difference it made?

4. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

Lol, "oh and a ton of performance DDR2, a large monitor, a better graphics card and perhaps a new car or apartment as well" Good read.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

The only problem I can see are those DIMM slots. I know you say they don't get in the way of the GPU, but on my Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe, the memory fits in, but you can swap moduals while the GOU is in there, which is a pain when you've got a water-block on there ect.

DDR2 still seems king until at least after Christmas...

6. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

Out of curiosity, is there a big difference in the network performance between the gigabit ethernet port running on the PCI-Express and the PCI one?

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'm doing a separate DDR3 article where I am evaluating both P5K3 and P5K boards directly and at DDR3 speeds of 800/1066/1333 and 1600 (if I can get it to work at 1600. It's not playing ball atm :()

Doc: I'm still looking for a utility that will test it properly and consistently. In theory, PCI-Express is better because it doesn't share a bus, but I can't give you solid numbers.

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I'm not too fussed about the FSB, I mean the 6-6-6- timings rather then 7-7-7

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

Because of the difference between the way PCI and PCI-Express works, when you start adding more devices onto the PCI bus, the existing devices start to bottleneck (especially "throughput" orientated devices like network adapters and disk controllers) and you actually lose performance.

Theoretically, you can get Gigabit throughput on a PCI-based Gigabit Ethernet controller in perfect conditions if there are no other devices using the bus (33MHz * 32-bit = 1056Mbit/sec), but no condition is ever perfect. It's much easier to achieve maximum throughput on a PCI-Express based device because these limitations aren't in place.

10. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

Yeah I figured the answer would be something like that, but that is all theory.. I was wondering if there was a "real life" effect, I can see how that is difficult to test as people will have different numbers of PCI cards in their rigs, but I think most would have no more than say a sound card installed (correct me if I'm wrong). Considering this board seems to come with everything including a coffeemaker and a foot massager, would be interesting just to see if there was a difference with no extra cards in.

->Bindibadgi, I think saw some network tests done with a program called something like chariot, not sure if i remember correctly or whether it's any good

11. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

DDR2 started slower than the fastest DDR1 but now DDR2 is alot faster than the fastest DDR1. I would expect a similar patten here :)

12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I feel sorry for those that think they can live with the Analog Devices sound chips seen in Asus boards.. It's a bit like thinkg you can live with drugs! I've had so terrible head**** with the drivers I can't describe it here due to the censorship, but I guess you can figure out yourselves how pissed I am. It's not like you couldn't use the integrated sound card at all or the quality was terrible, but cmon the drivers! I really don't want to open them even every setting would be wrong, because I know I'll just get a terrible headache.
    For a high-end mobo I'd really love to see something a bit more.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Doc: Thanks! I'll look it up. For most people 10/100 will be enough unless you're frequently copying large files. Even HD streaming over Fast 100M Ethernet is doable. I used it with a NAS box we've got at my parents house and only when my bro & sis are watching video from it and my dad is copying files to/from it it starts to chug and we could do with Gigabit.

ADI sound chips are ****ing awful. When I see Asus at Computex I'm certainly gonna ask WTF they are doing.

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

( we have to have 10/100/1000 at school, complete pain )

Bindi @ Yeah, you give'm what for! :D

15. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

I really like this mother board :rock: I have done all the reading up on it at Asus' website :rock: www.asus.com

There is only a few problems with it :nono: it uses the Intel P35 chipset but doesn't have PCIe 2.0, Intel only released that info after the boards were made :waah: also it is now out of date because of the Intel X38 chipset :wallbash: buy the time i can aford one of thies boards there will be a much better one :wallbash: we need to hear what companies like Asus and Intel are thinking for a year ahead, then I can plan a buget and build an awsome PC as soon as the parts come out :rock:

Last edited: 9 Jun 2007
  16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

But you get to buy a whole new board with P35 and PCIe 2.0 sometime later. In hindsight though, noone needs PCIe 2.0 until a graphics card supports it.

17. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Will PCI-E 2.0 graphics cards work in older PCI-E slots or would a new motherboard be necessary? Is the reverse true?

18. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

I know there is no need for it now but mother boards support 45nm processors and do you see any of them out yet. it is good to be ahead now then you don't have to be behind later. there is always the fear that the companies will go a different way, but you can't look for that and always be right. if you have an idea of what you want that is based on what is out now then you will only be disaponted with not having what comes out later. I plan for what will get the job done and thats as fare as it goes. that way I don't feel bad that I don't have the best, I have what I need.

19. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

your sig is ****ing huge. make it smaller.

stop bumping threads with useless information and flawed arguments

20. adeel_bm

adeel_bm What's a Dremel?

THE "AMD Athlon 64"

Hi,

Does "AMD ATHLON 64 FX-74" Compatible with "Asus P5K3 Deluxe" OR any other DDR3 ASUS' Mainboard??

Regards,

_ABM

~ Vulcan Raven, Giant & Shaman

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Sep 2007
Tags: Add Tags