1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Asus Rampage III Extreme RAM issues

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by zulu9812, 28 May 2012.

1. zulu9812

zulu9812 What's a Dremel?

Okay, despite the motherboard, I am not overclocking.

The problem began a couple of days ago. Two days in a row, my computer unexpectedly restarted - but upon attempting to start up, boot would fail at various points. Sometimes at the initial screen (press 'Del' to enter BIOS, etc.), sometimes at the windows logo, sometimes at a screen asking do I wish to boot into safe mode, sometimes when it had just got into windows itself (both Normal and Safe modes). The first day this happened, I was able to boot into safe mode and restart into normal mode. The second day, this didn't work (the computer rebooted itself when in safe mode before I could do anything) and then kept attempting failed boots that got shorter and shorter until it was just the switch clicking on and off. I eventually did a CMOS battery re-seat and the computer then ran fine, until this morning when it unexpectedly restarted for the the third day in a row and then followed the behaviour described above.

The Rampage III Extreme has a series of diagnostic LEDs that can tell you if something is wrong with your graphics card, boot device, cpu or ram. In this case, the DRAM led was lit up red. This wasn't the first time I'd seen this LED so I thought that I'd better replace the RAM. I had already ordered the replacement yesterday and it arrived today.

old RAM - http://www.corsair.com/en/tr3x6g1600c8d.html

new RAM - http://www.corsair.com/en/vengeance-12gb-triple-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz12gx3m3a1600c9.html

I also re-seated the CMOS battery again, just in case.

Now my computer won't boot at all - fans spin but the DRAM warning led is still lit and I get no system beeps. Screen is inactive. Can't tell what's going on.

Can anyone help me out?

2. zulu9812

zulu9812 What's a Dremel?

I tried booting with no RAM at all installed. I got a series of long beeps. This is good, as it generally implies RAM problems. If I had still gotten no beeps it would likely have been a PSU problem. But I do get beeps. So I tried with one stick of the new RAM. No beeps.

This could mean bad RAM. But I'm not inclined to think that it's 2 sets of bad RAM. It is probably something else.

3. Peter187

Peter187 What is a Dremel?

Hi, Do you think it could be your power supply dying?

4. JPClyde

JPClyde What's a Dremel?

The red light is for the voltage, I have one for memory, CPU, Northbridge and Southbridge.

They're called Voltiminder LEDs, it's telling you the voltage is too high.

You have to change it in BIOS, or reset your CMOS.

Last edited: 4 Jun 2012
  5. shinuviel

shinuviel What's a Dremel?

Hi, I've got the same problem as zulu. My pc started to freeze at random stages, like windows loading, a couple of times, than after 2 or 3 reboots it couldn't POST anymore (There is no bip at the start, only the fans are running). I opened my case and found out that there was a red led lit up. My motherboard is an Asus m4a88td-v evo/usb3, and the light I was talking about is the DRAM_LED which points to a ram problem according to the manual. After this led there is a button that can be pressed to start a "memory compatibility tuning" as manual says, so i tried this one. The light starts to blink at different speeds and when it ends nothing happens, the red light is still there and the system will not post. I have another pc in my home with a similiar config, so i tried my ram there and it works fine, i tried my PSU and it works fine, i tried even the cpu and it wroks too...so the last thing I can think of is the motherboard.

Well after reading zulu post i tried to start my system without the ram sticks and surprise, i got a long beep and a series of short ones (indicating missing ram), so how is it possible to be a motherboard problem if the diagnostic beeps runs great?

I also tried to clear the CMOS, there is a procedure indicated in the manual: you have to move a jumper cap from a position to another and wait 10 seconds, then return it to the previous position. I did, but nothing happened, so assuming it didnt work i also took away the battery from cmos and put it down again after a couple of minutes.

What else can I do? Is really the motherboard dead after 2 years of honoured service?