1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics AT psu questions

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ISM, 20 May 2003.

1. ISM

ISM What's a Dremel?

i have an AT psu and want to strip it down completly but have a couple questions first.....

1) how do I power it on with my ATX psu?

2) can i just cut off the mobo power header?

3) can i somehow get rid of the 115 230 V switch and keep it at 115?

4) can i get rid of the other power cable conector? (the one right above where the power cable normaly goes)

5) Do i need to keep the offf/on switch

2. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

You could use a 12v or 5v relay from the ATX supply attached to the mains (AC voltage entering the supply).

Yes, but don't allow any of the wires to short, do a clean job of it ;)

Again, yes. What you do is see which wires are shorted together when the switch is on the 115v position, and then solder them together (a multimeter helps in determining the switch "position"),

If I am assuming right, that is the power on with PSU jack, usualy used for monitors and stuff. I see no problem with removing it.

No, but I would keep it. Just in case ;)

3. bren2

bren2 What's a Dremel?

wouldnt you want to make a relay from the ATX PSU to the AT PSU thus removing the need for a swich for the AT?

4. Yo-DUH_87

Re: Re: AT psu questions

:D :D

Reason I said I'd keep the switch, is because it allows you to turn the AT PSU off without turning the ATX one off. May or may not be a benafit for him, but I would keep it ;)

5. ISM

ISM What's a Dremel?

ok i understand most of what to do but relays are something new to me (have not yet learned about them in my computers class) so i need help wirring the power switch.

second thing im having trouble understanding is the power socket for the monitor can i just remove it and the wires that run from the board to the connector?

thanks for the help already and thanks for any more help anyone may have

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

you can just take teh wires for teh extra socket clean off, just make sure again that you dont let anything short or BOOM, you will have fun with that one :thumb:

7. Yo-DUH_87

Yeah, the wires for the monitor plug are non-essentisal, you can remove them without any trouble (assuming, it is a monitor plug ;) ).

Relays are like switches, except they are not operated by a manual toggle, they are operated by having electric current being applyed to one side...

You can find much reading material on them by searching google :thumb:

8. ISM

ISM What's a Dremel?

i have removed the monitor plug, mobo plugs and have taken the psu out of its casing. when i plug it in and turn on the psu now the leds i have attached to it light up for a second or soo and turn off......i have grounded the psu and i dont know what im doing wrong. any ideas??? :sigh:

9. Yo-DUH_87

Check for shorts, other than that...

You are using the toggle switch still, right? And you have nothing except the LEDs on it?

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

im hoping you didnt hook the leds directly up to the 12v or 5v line,
    as that would certianly turn them off

11. ISM

ISM What's a Dremel?

yes i am still using the origional switch with it and yes i only have the leds hooked up.

12. Yo-DUH_87

Were there any areas of the PSU PCB that were making contact with the metal case (before you removed it)?

I'm kinda shooting blindly here, as I don't have the PSU and an ohm meter sitting in my lap ;)

13. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

does it power up at all or are the leds shorting it?
    try using a fan as an ON test as a led can cause trouble

14. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Maybe you need some proper loading on the outputs. If you can find something to draw an amp or so from the 5V line you may find you have better luck.

15. ISM

ISM What's a Dremel?

i have added a fan and a floppy drive and it still only gives power for a short time then turns off...... also sometimes when i turn the power off at the power bar the lights and fan spin/light for a second and turn back off

*edit*

now if i leave it on for a while it will come on for a second out of nowhere every now and then?????:confused:

16. ReverendFränz

ReverendFränz What's a Dremel?

dont know why, but check your switch, what you are descrbing i almost exactily what happens if you put a on off switch on an ATX mb instead of the momentary it requires. AT on the other hand, should have a on off switch wired right to it, so i dont know

17. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

u got ne fans cooling it? sounds like summats overheating so it shutsdown then cools for a bit until it powers up again then it overheats again

18. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Sounds more like bad soldering to me :lol:

19. rich_bytes

rich_bytes What's a Dremel?

Some older psu's need more than just a couple of fans to provide sufficient load for them to operate, if you have an old hard drive try that as it should be enough. A floppy drive probably won't work as it uses hardly any power when it is not running.