1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Atari VCS delayed for Ryzen upgrade

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 19 Mar 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

So it has gone from useless tat to a Ryzen NUC (provided they actually ever release it)?

Not bad, not bad at all.

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Surely if it's only meant to be an Atari emulator, all this hardware is massively overkill?

Unless they are secretly expecting/hoping/insinuating/implying users chuck on some more demanding emulators and use it as a catch-all retro gaming hub device??

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I feel like you've not been reading my oh-so-carefully-prepared articles on the matter...
    It's basically a Linux desktop with an Atari skin on top. In theory, you'll be able to install Steam and play what you want.

Byron C likes this.
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I don't know if this has changed at all - I'm sure Mr @Gareth Halfacree will correct me if so - but IIRC they are planning to make it an "open" system. I don't know if that means "open source" per se, but from what I remember they do want people to be able to write their own software/games for it.

If it's a full-fat x86-64 CPU under the hood frankly it'd be hard not to. The only complication would be drivers, but unless there's more to Atari than the shuffling corpse it currently resembles, I highly doubt the hardware will far removed from "standard" PC components.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Gareth, by a matter of moments :thumb:

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

As a two-core Zen part, the question now is: 2200U, V1202B, or Athlon 200GE? My bet would be on V1202B, can't see them wanting to put in a socket for a single-SKU product when they could save money and go BGA.

Tags: Add Tags