1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics ati 9700pro distortion problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SparkuS, 1 Sep 2005.

1. SparkuS

SparkuS What's a Dremel?

Hi there,
    I'll give you guys as much information as possible.

Im running an old dell system (Dimensions 8100 p4 1.7 gig of ram) and a year old Sapphire Radeon 9700 pro agp- thankfully getting a new system next month but this computer will still be in use.

I was playing some quite demanding games(for a dell) cs:s and rct3, when the detailed graphics started to go obscure, and whatever game became unplayable. Stupidly because this had happened on the odd occation in the past I persevered, as the graphics would flicker back to clear and then flicker back to obscure. So this is probably when the damage was done. Roughly since this time heavy distortion lines are apparent. hair lines down the dell logo on start up and the xp logo on loading. Aswell as slight distortion on the desktop background.

I tried removing the card and cooling down my case overnight and also cleaned the card as the fan was very clogged. Tried removing the card for any signs of damage - nothing, and also tried the card in a different computer to find the same problem, so the monitor is ruled out. I also tried updating drivers and uninstalling drivers completely. The xp default drivers make a difference, with very slight distortion, however im not going to settle for running games in software mode :rolleyes: on a clean install of the latest cat drivers, the desktop screen appears to be fine, then a 5 second blackout seems to change the quality down a peg and re-define these distortion lines.

I used to have it overclocked, however at the time it wasnt. Is the card fried? It seems a sin to have to replace it (cost me £170 at the time)

would appriecate any other suggestions I can try, or can the card be repaired somehow?

If it is fried.. anyone suggest a similar card for roughly £50.

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

It sounds like it's overheated and burnt out to me. With a clogged fan, a fairly cramped case, and demanding games, the card would get extremely hot.

Luckily for you though, you can get another 9700 for about £50 here.

:)

3. SparkuS

SparkuS What's a Dremel?

whats the best nvidia card for that price? I've had too much trouble with ati over the years.

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

You could probably pick up a GeForce 6200, which has roughly the same performance as your old 9700, for about £50. You could stretch to a low-end 6600 if you wanted a little extra.

5. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

Have you tried underclocking the gpu and RAM?
    - It's possible that one of the chips is going bad - dropping the speed might help.. maybe...
    If that's no good, and the warranty has expired on the card, you could always try reseating the gfx heatsink - arctic silver etc....
    - Nothing to lose anyway!

6. SparkuS

SparkuS What's a Dremel?

I'll try the underclocking suggestion, as for reseating - do you know a link that goes through the steps? Or is it relatively easy?

7. SparkuS

SparkuS What's a Dremel?

8. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

Sorry, couldnt find a decent guide anywhere.....

No probs - 'Tis relatively easy anyway....
    As I said, I wouldnt do this unless the warranty is gone.. (might be worth contacting the manufacturer anyways...)

There should be 2 pins holding the heatsink that go through the card....
    - Have a look on the backside of the card...

You need to gently squeeze the ends of the pins where they poke through from the front... - If you can do it with your fingers/nails, it won't damage them.... Be VERY careful if you have to use pliers or something - you won't be able to get it back on if you mangle them too much!
    The hsf should then come free
    - If it doesnt come straight off, I found that giving it a GENTLE twist helped to free it...

Clean both the heatsink and the GPU with some isopropyl or rubbing alcohol...
    Apply some arctic silver, or other decent thermal paste..

Pop the heatsink back on - job's a goodun! (hopefully)

9. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

also have you checked your monitor? (I know it sounds daft)

10. SparkuS

SparkuS What's a Dremel?

shock horror I think underclocking it has made it breathe life for now. All distortion lines and hair lines on startup and desktop are clear, like normal... However I am now getting a "atisserv failed to provide required interfaces" error on startup. Also in dxdiag AGP Texture Acceleration is not available. Im going to try another clean install of the cat drivers. Pleased my card isnt for the bin just yet :)

Tags: